Deputy Director General for Services and Operations
CIMMYT is a not-for-profit research organization, one of the largest centers of the CGIAR Partnership (15 centers globally working in Agricultural Research for Development), working on two of the world’s most important field crops with partners in over 100 countries. As staple foods, maize and wheat provide vital nutrition and health benefits for millions of people in low-and-middle income countries. CIMMYT tackles food insecurity through improved nutrient-rich, risk-mitigating, high-yielding varieties; sustainable agricultural practices; and innovative options to improve the livelihoods of resource-poor farmers. The 3 pillars of the organization are excellence in science, impact through partnerships and capacity building. The U.N. projects that the global population will increase to more than 9 billion people by 2050, which means that the successes and failures of wheat and maize farmers will continue to have a crucial impact on food security globally.
We are seeking a Deputy Director General (DDG-SO) who as a member of the senior management team will provide strategic leadership for CIMMYT’s operations and support services. Reporting to the Director General, the DDG-SO will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, with reporting teams that include Finance, Project Management, HR, IT, Communications, and Legal. He or she will work alongside the Director General to maintain external relationships with governments and the CGIAR system as well.
The Deputy Director will partner closely with the Director General to chart CIMMYT’s strategy in response to changing demands from current operations and in preparation for future operations in growth areas. Besides overseeing the staff of support services at CIMMYT Headquarters, she or he will integrate center-wide support service functions within all CIMMYT Regional Offices. Working closely with the Director General, the DDG-Services & Operations will coordinate, plan, monitor, evaluate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures globally to ensure that CIMMYT operations are run as efficient, cost-effective, and productive sites — enabling all CIMMYT employees to work at their best towards the achievement of the center’s mission.
- Advise the Director General on policies relating to CIMMYT support services and operations globally.
- Structure and lead teams across all areas where services support CIMMYT operations to deliver outstanding results.
- Interact with all Research Programs and Program Directors to ensure services are matched to needs.
- As a member of the Management Committee, assist the Director General in the overall management of the Center and act on his or her behalf as needed.
- Recommend financing mechanisms/instruments to Director General and Board as well as advise on IT and regional coordination of these systems, to include knowledge management.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with all governments for CIMMYT global operations, including the government of Mexico, allowing for the smooth operation of CIMMYT headquarters.
- Represent CIMMYT and the Director General in international conferences, CGIAR events and venues, and others where requested;
- Ensure that all institutional activities continue to be managed in a legal and ethical manner.
- Assist team with developing CIMMYT thought leadership around specific topics/emerging practice areas in each support service function, while continuing to foster a personal area of in-depth expertise.
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and both internal/external communications across CIMMYT globally where it relates to support services and operational matters.
- Partner with the Director General and discipline leaders in essential internal leadership activities such as human resources decisions, administration, and organizational planning.
- Identify best practices and improve internal support systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- Mentor and coach team members using a visible and approachable style while being a sounding board and resource for senior leadership.
The successful candidate will demonstrate or possess:
- A track record delivering superior results and commanding respect in previous organizations via a collaborative working style.
- Previous success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities in a fast-track organization.
- The proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor.
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, from diverse backgrounds and cultures, and of many disciplines.
- The confidence to defend/debate ideas without ego interference.
- Outstanding communication skills (written, oral, presentation) and interpersonal skills.
- A passion for both the CIMMYT and CGIAR missions and impact.
- An ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in the setting of an international organization.
- A transparent communication style, direct, with substance and without hidden agendas.
- The ability to remain focused in the face of pressure – able to deliver against timelines; not intimidated by tasks/time limitations.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- 10-15+ distinguished years in senior management roles in a nonprofit organization, foundation, or government agency.
- Strength in Finance strategy and IT implementation, able to integrate processes or data streams that support decision-making.
- An advanced/MBA degree from a leading university and/or agriculture background with equivalent business experience.
- International and developing country experience with a previous focus on improving livelihoods in third world countries.
Equal opportunity employer. CIMMYT welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information.
If you are interested in this role or can provide suggested contacts for CTI on this search, please contact us in confidence. Our search is not confidential and this document may be redistributed.
Dave Jensen, CEO and Founder
(928) 274-2266 Cell (Preferred)
Ryan Raver, PhD, Managing Director
(734) 658-3420 Cell (Preferred)