Nutrition Officer - Consultant
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world.
Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
How we deliver our mission in deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐
Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential.
WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about us!!
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Provide support to nutrition programmes and activities for the Regional office - Cairo to contribute to meeting the nutritional needs of WFP beneficiaries.
Three or more years of experience in nutrition, Public health or relevant areas
- Advanced University degree in Public Health Nutrition, Nutrition, Food Technology, Medicine or another relevant field.
- Certificate in Public health
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of Arabic is a plus and/or WFP’s working language.
- Experience in data research and analysis
- Experience and exposure to implementation of national/international development programmes.
- Experience working in public health/food security/ nutrition related activities.
- Experience identifying and defining nutrition issues/problems within a country.
1. Contribute to the development of nutrition projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider nutrition policies and guidance.
2. Provide project management support to specific and defined nutrition projects and activities, ensuring a co-ordinated approach with wider programmes/projects that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
3. Develop and co-ordinate data gathering and monitoring/assessment systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
4. Track and analyse data to provide input into reporting activities and contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on nutrition activities that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
5. Liaise with implementing partners (internal and external) to monitor ongoing projects, ensuring effective collaboration, timeliness and efficiency, and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
6. Support the identification of potential partners and partnership negotiations to ensure a collaborative and holistic approach to meeting nutrition needs.
7. Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to nutrition needs for example the production and review of training materials.
8. Guide more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
9. Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
10. Other as required.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Knowledge of Nutrients||Utilizes knowledge of vitamins and nutrients to understand the causes of malnutrition, the relationships between the different types of malnutrition, and is able to articulate the UNICEF conceptual model.|
|Situation Analysis and Evidence Assessment||Able to appropriately interpret the nutrition situation, analyze primary causes of malnutrition, define limitations to the analysis (e.g. seasonality) and prepare an overview of the food security and nutrition situation in country.|
|Knowledge of Public Health||Has foundational knowledge of the core public health sciences (i.e., biostatistics, epidemiology, social science, environmental health, and prevention of chronic and infectious disease and injury) in order to assess a country’s/region’s health situation.|
|Knowledge of Food System||Ability to analyze how food systems influence the diets of vulnerable groups and identify how and where food systems may contribute to specific nutrient gaps.|
|Applying Programme & Policy Standards||Leverages nutrition knowledge to provide technical advice to governments to design and implement country nutrition programmes that follow international and WFP agency standards and guidance.|
Job Title: Nutrition Officer
Type & Level of Contract: Consultancy contract - Level I
Duration: 11 Months
Unit/Division: Programme - Nutrition
Duty Station(City, Country): Regional Bureau in Cairo (RBC), Egypt
Reports To: Sr. Nutrition Officer
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application no later than August 17th, 2019.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.