Programme coordinator (M/F) - Nigeria
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM is currently implementing an emergency response programme in Borno state. The programme is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
In 2019, MdM runs directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa) and supports 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as cholera outbreak).
MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
You will be in direct charge of the implementation of MdM intervention in Borno state. You will guarantee that activities implemented through the project are in line with MdM’s strategy, policies and principles.
More specifically, your responsibilities are:
Context analysis and needs assessment
- Ensure a close monitoring of the humanitarian situation in Borno in collaboration with the medical team
- Provide monthly updates on the humanitarian situation
- Inform on a timely basis the general coordinator about any specific situation in Borno which could lead to an MdM response or adjustment of the operational approach
- In case of deterioration of the humanitarian situation (mainly linked to new displacements of population or cholera outbreak), coordinate the deployment of the emergency response team
- Lead the development of the general strategy on MdM medical activities
- Make sure the different components of the programme are consistent and perfectly integrated and in link with population needs
- Support the team in the identification of partners, development of healthy partnerships, as well as capacity building
- Ensure that the implementation of the programme is in line with MdM commitments (contracts with donors)
- Support the pharma team for availability of quality drugs
- Ensure accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management of the programme
- Monitor expenditures and budget compliance on a regular basis
- Ensure regular communication between staff and departments involved in the programme
- Ensure the recruitment of the team and develop a positive management
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Support team members professionally, monitor and support stress management
- Pilot the nationalization process of key staffs and develop a culture of empowerment
Monitoring and reporting
- Make sure that all needed data of the programme are well collected on a monthly basis and integrated in MdM monitoring tool
- Contribute to the organization of external evaluation when requested
- Contribute to the preparation of the monthly MdM situation report
- Participate in the writing of donor’s activity reports and proposals
C**oordination and representation**
- Make sure that MdM programme team participates in relevant humanitarian coordination meetings (OCHA, clusters, pharma…)
- Proactively lead on external coordination with other health actors, (INGOs and UN agencies); actively build relations and establish information sharing channels to ensure MdM is well placed within the health response in Borno
- Develop constructive collaboration with authorities, such as Ministry of Health and the State Emergency Management Agency
- Make sure that communities understand MdM intervention, as well as their inclusion in the development of MdM strategy in Borno, and make sure that accountability mechanisms are in place
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: September 2019
Position based in Maiduguri with regular field visits
Gross monthly salary: 3042 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost (home-work), vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Medical or public health profile, confident with programme coordination
At least 3 years of experience in a similar position
Experience with an international NGO working in emergency contexts, managing programmes, preferably within the health sector
Previous experience of project planning and budget holding, proposal and report writing
Knowledge of the region is an asset
Knowledge and understanding of project management tools (logical framework analysis, project cycle management, objectives and indicators, etc.)
Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style (experience managing national and expatriate staff)
Proven ability to solve problems and lead teams through very challenging obstacles
Good writing and communication skills
Languages: English fluent (oral and written), French or Hausa is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
To apply, click on the following link : http://www.jobs.net/j/JShvWxWE?idpartenaire=128