Cyber Security Engineer
- Function title: Cyber Security Engineer
- Reference: NOC-MA-2019-AST/110
- Location: Maastricht
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: General conditions of employment
- Grades for publication: AST3-4-5
- Type of post: Assistant (AST1-AST9)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: MAAS/ENG/SQI - Safety, Quality & IT Security
- Competition publication date: 17/07/2019
- Competition closing date: 28/08/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, the Safety, Quality and IT Security (SQI) team fulfils an essential role in the quality assurance of the Engineering product lifecycle (maintenance plans, procedures, changes, baselines, product audits for projects). The team performs audits and certifies the MMS conformity of Engineering's changes to MADAP prior to signoff by the Head of ENG. It is active in monitoring regulations and updating ENG related parts of the MMS and it represents the technical aspect of IT security.
Your role will be to:
- Maintain, update and operate intrusion detection tools;
- Maintain, update and operate the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tool;
- Document any changes to the Security Operations Centre CI (Configuration Item) according to MUAC documentation standards;
- Research on, develop and keep abreast of tools, techniques and process improvements in support of security detection and analysis in accordance with current and emerging threat and attack vectors;
- Perform cyber security incident analyses such as malware analysis, in support of the security incident response process, provide recommendations and report on findings;
- Generate the quarterly Security Operations Centre report;
- Act as backup for the IT Security officer in order to ensure continuity of service;
- Perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job e.g. risk assessments, security architecture support.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma or secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education with at least 3 years of relevant working experience. Diploma in a relevant field (ICT and Telecommunications, Cyber Security).
- In addition to the above, minimum 3 years of relevant working experience
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate
- Experience with the following: TCP/IP; general networking and security concepts/architectures (Switching/firewalls/VPN/IDS/SIEM); Linux operating system; Windows system administration; SPLUNK is considered an asset
- Experience in scripting (python/bash/regular expressions)
- Experience in architecting, configuring and maintaining open source intrusion detection software (SNORT/SURICATA/BRO)
- Experience in dealing with cyber security incidents including malware analysis
- Drafting skills (English)
- Communication: Adapts communication to different situations and audiences
- Teamwork: Fosters teamwork
- Customer focus: Adapts services to respond to customer needs
- Result Focus: Seeks to improve personal performance
- Analytical thinking: Applies methodical approach to complex information
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English (oral/written) is required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 7 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be required to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set above while still maintaining, if s/he is already in post, his/her previous employment appoint conditions (undetermined/permanent duration of appointment).
At the end of the published duration above, in accordance with the statutes, the assignment to this post can be either extended or the appointment is converted into an undetermined one or the staff member is transferred to another post corresponding to the type of post, grade and function group as held by the person at that time.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex X of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date for applications.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is an equal opportunity employer, promotes gender diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from female candidates.
- Candidates should go to our Jobs website and read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.