Odisha | India
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to this website for more information: http://bisa.org/
We are seeking dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of three Technical Assistant (Nutrition) positions to work within BISA’s collaboration with WorldFish. The position will be based in Jagatsinghpur, Balasore and Mayurbhanj districts of Odisha. WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization with headquarters in Penang, Malaysia, and offices in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific. WorldFish’s mission is to harness the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce poverty and hunger in developing countries. Please refer to this website for more information: www.worldfishcenter.org
BISA and WorldFish in partnership with Fisheries & ARD Department, Government of Odisha and with funding support from USAID India Partnership Program, is implementing a 3-year project – “Scaling innovative, nutrition-sensitive fisheries technologies and integrated approaches through partnerships in Odisha, India to improve food and nutrition security”. The project period is October 2017 to September 2020.
The goal of the project is to improve food and nutrition security in the Indian state of Odisha. This project will lead to the introduction of nutrition-sensitive production technologies for nutrient-rich fish and vegetables in three districts of Odisha (Mayurbhanj, Balasore and Jagatsinghpur) as well as increased production of high quality fresh small fish and hygienically solar dried fish for making fish-based products for the first 1,000 days of human life.
The position will be based in Jagatsinghpur, Balasore and Mayurbhanj districts of Odisha.
- Undertake regular field visit in project area and linkage with different Government functionaries, PRI Representatives/leaders of local self-governance, Front Line Workers (FLWs), NGOs and Community leaders.
- Provide support to disseminate effective social and behavior change communication (SBCC) approaches in Community and community based institutions, which later cascade and institutionalize.
- Support ICDS Supervisors for enhancing the quality in sector meeting and community level nutritional awareness programme.
- Support ANM/AWW/ASHA for organizing VHND/NHED sessions, celebration of different designated days in AWCs and maintain records which would instrumental to strengthen the documentation.
- Assist ICDS and Health functionaries for effective home visit and need based counseling to the different stakeholders.
- Provide support to organize community level meetings (JC, MC, GKS, SMC, SHG) and disseminate the desired messages in the same.
- Organize recipe demonstration in AWC and community level.
- Attend sector and community level meetings to disseminate nutritional messages.
- Assist ICDS staff for weighing and growth monitoring of children and counseling of mothers / caregivers.
- Deliver nutrition education including development of appropriate resources in AWC, Schools and community level.
- Monitor and support fish based AWC/school feeding programme.
- Provide support to develop kitchen garden both in AWC, School, pond dykes and Community level.
- Support in collection of qualitative information of the block, cluster, GP and village visited.
- Expand and strengthen the learning and capabilities of ICDS, Health and other organization staff on the benefits of fish for improved nutrition and health, especially for the poor and women and children in the first 1000 days life.
- Any other duties as assigned by Project Manager as and when required.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Master degree in Social Science, PG Diploma in human nutrition/ health science/ public health or any related field.
- Minimum 05 years of relevant experience in human nutrition, public health or agriculture – nutrition linkages.
- Understanding of both human nutrition and nutrition-sensitive aquatic food systems.
- Knowledge of ICDS programme is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with staff at all levels, including field staff; works well in teams; able to motivate others.
- Communication skills, including the ability to explain complex things in simply way.
- Possess a keen interest to work with communities.
- Work experience with government and local NGOs will be an added advantage.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Monday, August 12, 2019 to Human Resources, CIMMYT/BISA.
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN19143 in the subject of your email)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Women are encouraged to apply.
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.