One Acre Fund relies on a home-grown Client Management Information System to help us manage our field program information. As we grow our organization, we need to continually improve this system and facilitate its integration with third party tools. Currently, our Client Management Information System handles the enrollment of 180,000-300,000 smallholder farmers spread over multiple countries, records farm supply orders, manages the delivery of seed, fertilizer, and solar lights to clients, tracks millions of payment transactions, and creates a wide variety of business intelligence reports.
Our database uses a distributed client/server model where field offices can perform data entry and run reports offline while syncing with a central server as needed (e.g., during times of poor internet connectivity). On the backend, the technologies used are SQL server 2014 with merge replication to field offices, while on the front end we use MVC.Net, Breeze.js, and Angular.js. As we are growing, we are looking to:
- Improve our existing tools to capture a wide variety of program configurations per country and provide functionality for a multitude of field product and process innovations.
- Provide central management and reporting tools while maintaining a focus on field usability.
- Build out efficient bulk data entry functionality with a heavy focus on data quality control, as well as field-facing mobile and tablet data entry, and reporting where appropriate.
The Developer will be based in Kigali, Rwanda. S/he will be responsible for the following:
- Producing a field-facing, mission-critical Program Management System.
- Participating in the continued development of our mission-critical custom database, which impacts every aspect of the organization’s operations.
- Developing features allowing for flexibility in the way individual countries run their operations, while still focusing on reusability across countries.
- Maintaining a long-term perspective when faced with urgent operational demands.
- Working together with our small team of developers.
- Maintaining coding standards and participating in peer code reviews.
- Technology experimentation: Experimenting with a variety of technologies to improve operations. Investigating appropriate solutions for deploying upgrades, database scaling, and interacting with 3rd party software providers.
- Operational insight: Becoming familiar with every aspect of our field operations and identifying areas for improvement in the tools we develop to support the field.
- Other tasks: We are a young organization that is growing rapidly, which means all staffers pitch in to ensure we are providing the very best support and services to both our team and clients.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2+ years of experience, solid programming skills, and a knowledge of database concepts to improve our existing technical systems. Candidates fitting the following profile are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 2+ years of work or internship experience in a professional environment.
- Solid programming skills. C#/MVC.Net/Breeze.js/Angular.js preferable, but not required.
- Knowledge of database concepts and SQL/Linq.
- Very strong self-manager. After an initial six-month period of heavy mentorship, supervision will consist of one weekly check-in. Accordingly, we need someone who is very well-organized and can manage their work independently.
- Willingness to commit to the position for at least two years.
- Experience living in a developing country is desired, but not a requirement.
- Language: English required, French is a plus.
PREFERRED START DATE
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits.
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
Yes. East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: Please submit a Resume/CV, not exceeding more than 1-2 pages, which includes, Education, Work Experience, Specialized/Technical Skills, Achievements/Awards and any other Experience (Volunteering, Extracurriculars, etc). References do not need to be included, and will only be required upon request, after the final interview
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.