Support Manager (National Position) Re-advertisement - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
Iraq, with a long history of displacement, has seen an unprecedented rise in recent years. Of the more than 5.8 million Iraqis who fled their homes since 2014, two million remain displaced. Over four million Iraqis have returned to their area of origin. Many Iraqis have returned to areas that lack basic infrastructure, utility services and livelihood opportunities, or where explosive devices have not been cleared. Other challenges include: lack of security, community rejection, housing, property and civil documentation issues and lack of educational opportunities.
The UN estimates that more than 8 million Iraqis will need assistance in 2019, and 3.2 million children attend schools irregularly or not at all. Humanitarian agencies are asking for 569 million USD to deliver basic assistance to Iraqis (HRP 2018). With military operations against IS group having ended, the Iraqi government faces new challenges to ensure an inclusive reconstruction and reconciliation that will sustain peace.
Since 2010,NRC Iraq has been assisting internally displaced Iraqis, Syrian refugees, and host communities in Ninewa, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk, Basra and Anbar. We focus on assisting the newly displaced, those in lengthy displacement in camps and those in hard-to-reach places. In 2018, NRC scaled-up programmes across Iraq to respond to the large-scale displacements and returns, especially in Anbar governorate, around Kirkuk and in Ninewa using our water and sanitation, education, camp management, legal assistance, livelihoods, camp management, and cash activities.
Support Manager -Dohuk
The purpose of the Support Manager position is to coordinate the support functions at a large Area Office and off-load the Area Manager on support functions. The main responsibility for Support Manager is to line manage support staff such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics/ICT. Participate in recruitment of senior staff as and when needed. Act as a focal point for the Kirkuk support function issues and coordinate with the Country office for support function related issue. Follow up disciplinary measures/meetings; process investigations & action points Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Provide input on operational support to the Area Plan of Action, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans at Area level
- Responsible for ensuring quality support to project implementation
- Facilitate Area Support Budget, area level budgets, including support cost
- Responsible for developing regular reports on Area level to Country Office and AM
- Responsible for implementation of new country specific technical Standard Operating Procedures , guidelines and tools in Area (HR, Logistic/ICT and Finance)
- Facilitate training for programme staff on finance, logistics and HR procedures
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff (HR, Logistic/ICT and Finance)
- Make sure that salary mapping, spending plan, project procurement plan and vehicle mapping plan is available and updated regularly
- Responsible for monthly closure and posting of Monthly expenditure on time
- Arrange/facilitate area level coordination bi-monthly meeting meetings, all staff meeting and take the minutes of the meetings and circulate accordingly.
- Make sure work and development of all staff are developed, and reviewed periodically
- Organize grants opening, review and closure meetings at field level (single location grants)
- Ensure correct completion and upload of paperwork to the filing tree as required by Secure Support Documents and Reconciliation of Deliverable Policy
- Assume responsibility for updating master budget regularly (in collaboration with Area Manager)
- Submit weekly/ monthly reports pertaining to support functions, progress and challenges
- Conduct any other activities as requested by the Area Manager
Our Ideal Candidate:
University graduate with minimum (3) years experience working as Support Manager/ Support Manager in a humanitarian/recovery context. Ideally the candidate should have strong logistics knowledge and understanding of security situation. Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts. Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile. Fluency in English, and local languages both written and verbal is a must.
Contract period: nine (9) months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions/Health Insurance
Duty station: Duhok
For more information, please find the attached job description.