Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
Location: Applicant to be based at OCCRP’s head office in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, though we will consider locations in Europe or Eurasia for the right applicant.
Journalism Development Network JDN, Inc (doing business as OCCRP) is recruiting an investigative editor to join our vibrant team and help us tackle the most challenging stories in the world. OCCRP is one of the world’s leading investigative reporting organizations, with a staff of 130 and operations across the globe. We are known for producing high-quality, ambitious cross-border investigations under difficult conditions.
We’re looking for someone who can:
- Demonstrate investigative reporting and editing skills.
- Work on OCCRP’s most high-profile investigations, including complex offshore financial schemes.
- Work productively, and in challenging conditions, with local journalists from a variety of journalistic traditions, cultures, levels of experience, and language proficiencies.
- Mentor less experienced editors.
- Edit investigations to a high quality while eliminating libel risk and identifying areas of potential litigation.
- Work with and train local reporters in investigative techniques and best practices with an eye to developing maximum efficiency.
- Gather news in a safe, ethical and productive manner.
- Source new data and original datasets.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues in remote settings.
- Coordinating story scheduling, production, illustrations and promotion.
- Speak fluent English. Other languages, especially Russian, are a plus.
- Work effectively as part of a team (a track record of this kind of work is important).
- Demonstrate passion, thick skin, and the temperament to work in occasionally stressful conditions on high-stakes stories;
- Utilize the immense resources and unique abilities of OCCRP;
- Support OCCRP’s ethos and values.
Salary is competitive and subject to experience. The position includes health care and generous vacation benefits.
To apply, please send the following to email@example.com:
- A detailed resume.
- A cover letter explaining why you want to work with OCCRP and what you will add.
- Samples of, or links to, three or more investigations published in the past two years.
The deadline for applications is Sept 30, 2019.
We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.
OCCRP is an equal opportunity employer.