Senior Health Program Manager
Requisition ID: req6119
Job Title: Senior Health Program Manager
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mafraq, Jordan
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work today in around 30 countries, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Syria crisis is often described as the worst humanitarian catastrophe since the end of the Cold War. Inside Syria, 7.6 people are internally displaced and 12.2 million are in need of humanitarian assistance. There are more than 4 million Syrian refugees living in neighboring countries. This is no short- term humanitarian episode. The devastating human consequences to huge numbers of people will endure for decades. The destruction of relationships, communities, livelihoods, homes and infrastructure will take years to repair. The IRC is offering a robust humanitarian response to the Syria crisis. With an annual budget in excess of $140 million and a rapidly expanding portfolio, supported by nearly 1300 staff, IRC’s Syria Response Region (SRR) is undertaking programs in Syria and neighboring countries of Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey and Iraq.
The Jordan country program, with a current budget of almost $50 million, operates in Jordan and cross-border in Syria. This position will be dedicated to Jordan health program overseeing the implementation of health program for refugees inside Jordan.
Job Overview/Summary: The Senior Health Program Manager, during the period of this assignment, will be responsible for implementation of the IRC Primary Health Care (PHC) Program in Jordan. The Senior Health Program Manager will also responsible, in collaboration with other IRC programs (WPE, ERD and CP), for effective integration of health program with other IRC Programs in the country.
Under supervision of Health Coordinator,the overall responsibilities of the position include improvement of the quality of care provided by the clinics, assuring the standardization of treatment protocols, quality assurance activities; planning and coordination of health services in IRC’s different health facilities in close collaboration with other departments and active participation and coordination in health assessments and project proposals; to take the lead in building the capacity of national staff - support the training, mentoring and supervision of health program staff deployed at different implementation locations.
Management and Program Oversight
- Hold the budget management responsibility for all grants related to clinical services delivery at the IRC PHC Program
- Manage the health teams in IRC clinics and provide day to day oversight and mentorship to clinic staff
- Develop procurement and spending plans and manage the budget for the implementation of the program, ensuring no over or underspending, in collaboration with the health coordinator and relevant health managers at the field locations
- Ensure proper and timely implementation of current programs and grants
- Write and submit internal and external reports as required to the Health Coordinator
- Represent the IRC in any relevant health coordination meetings at Amman and filed level
Technical Monitoring and Program Quality
- Ensure proper collection and analysis of medical data associated with health programs, in coordination with health managers at the filed locations. Monthly reports of the health data, including critical analysis to be sent to Health coordinator
- Identify clinic trends and develop mitigation measures to address programmatic gaps and improve overall quality of care
- Participate in conducting surveys and health assessment to identify gaps in health service delivery in the affected communities and provide feedback for program development according to the findings
- Ensure high quality health program in line with national and international standards
- Ensure the provision and use of national health protocols in IRC clinics, technically supervising the health staff and proposing trainings when necessary
- Ensure an effective referral system to secondary structures is in place and provide feedback on referrals
- Ensure that prescriptions are distributed in a rational way, based on treatment protocols, and following IRC criteria in term of ceiling prices and internal compliance
- Ensure the rational use of pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and supplies. Supervision of the medical orders and oversight on monthly inventory and consumption reports
- Monitor and evaluate program indicators, objectives, outputs, and impact and suggest changes according to the findings
Staff Management, Development and capacity building
- Technically supervise the health staff and provide regular technical assistance and training to build their skills, in collaboration with the line manager (Health Coordinator) on the administrative supervision side
- Set clear performance objectives for staff. Conduct performance reviews and ensure that the health staff receive adequate training according with individual needs
- Develop Job Descriptions and participate in the recruitment and on boarding of new health staff
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Health Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Health Manager Camps, Deputy Manager Health Operations, Deputy Manager Health (Urban).
Indirect Reporting: none
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: Filed manager at Mafraq, WPE, ERD and CP managers, finance and supply chain departments
External:Relevant stakeholders including UNHCR, WHO, UNFPA, MoH and INGO.
- Masters in Reproductive Health and/or Public Health or equivalent qualification.
- At least 3 to 5 years relevant experience in health program management
- Ability to analyze data and write situation/donor reports.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and manage human resources.
- Experience with budget management
- Experience in report writing
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Experience in health assessments, project proposals and grant management.
- Objective oriented.
- Flexible work attitude.
- Good computer skills: facility with MS Word, Excel, and email/internet software.
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English, fluency in Arabic a plus.
Working Environment: The position is based in Mafraq; standard office work environment.