Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Senegal
Located in Dakar, the UNOPS office in Senegal has developed a strong working relation with the Governments of West Africa and international partners over the years. It provides technical support in strategic development areas including elections; procurement and related capacity building; environmental protection, as well as infrastructure rehabilitation and development.
A Partnerships Unit (PU) has been established to support the development of new engagement opportunities in the sub-region and increase CIOH’s project and programme portfolio. The Partnership Unit coordinates, supports and monitors the development of the portfolio. The Unit report directly to the Hub Director serving, as an interface between the project centers and the operational hub. The Partnership Advisor will work within the Partnership Unit.
Under the direct supervision of the Hub Director, The Partnership Specialist will have the overall objective to support and develop UNOPS portfolio in West Africa.
1) Steer the development and implementation of an integrated UNOPS business development strategy
- Formulates and implements business development strategies to promote UNOPS services to key external constituencies
- Scans opportunities for business development intelligence
- Facilitates assessments of client needs, UNOPS comparative advantages and partner survey analysis, among others
- Active marketing and promotion of UNOPS services by building a network of key business partners and clients, keeping abreast of market, social, economic, and political trends in countries of focus
- Maintains close coordination of business development/external relations activities between UNOPS Regional Office, UNOPS Head Quarter, project offices and SNOH office in Dakar
- Contributes actively to the development of the Africa Regional Office Business Development Strategy ( notably but not only) through the provision of information on opportunities in the West Africa sub region
- Establishes contacts with potential clients and partners
- Organizes high-level meetings and negotiations
- Prepares subsequent plans of action and follow-up for potential business acquisition and partnership development opportunities
- Coordinates the work of the PU through the preparation of its work plan and the establishment of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
2) Support business acquisition activities
- Actively participates in the identification, design, formulation and negotiation of new engagements, projects or programs
- Identifies potential clients and business partners to pursue new business opportunities and ensure portfolio growth by promoting quality service to maintain a competitive edge
- Prepares Letters for Expression of Interest for potential business when considered consistent with UNOPS mandate, goals and development strategy
- Coordinates and leads in the preparation of business and project proposals for tenders
- Drafts concept notes and project documents with the support of subject matter experts for further discussion with clients and donors
- Develops capacity statements and success stories for the various services provided
3) Ensure expansion of our client base and building of new strategic partnership with clients and stakeholders
- Drafts agreements and/or contractual documents for the implementation of new projects
- Addresses questions and issues raised by colleagues or partners
- Reviews and comments on technical and progress reports prepared by projects and provision of advices as needed to improve content and quality of documents
- Identifies requirements related to corporate marketing materials and ensures the distribution thereof, as well as any reports/publications required for existing and potential clients and partners
- Interacts closely with operations staff to share information and knowledge and to provide proactive support and follow-up in building and maintaining effective client relations
4) Provide support to the Director, focusing on achievement the following results
- Supports the Hub Director in the crafting and drafting of SNOH’s annual BD/BA action plans
- Focal point for contacts with the donor community and primary role in the development of the business priorities
- Establishes necessary connections with development partners in the different countries
- Implements audit recommendations on the Unit’s Business Development strategy following internal verification exercises
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Proven ability to analyse external environment and global market trends
- Excellent writing skills both in French and English
- Proven track record of successfully conceptualizing strategic plans and achieving goals through market focus, innovative approaches and entrepreneurial spirit
- Good understanding of UNOPS business, operational environment and its clients as well as the UN mandate
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Ability to develop collaborative and harmonious relationship with external partners and clients at senior level
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to persuade and influence others
- Good command of most commonly used communication tools and software (Share Point, Power Point, etc.)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work schedules
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Ability to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Ability to promote integrity and business ethics
- Demonstrates mature judgment, trust and open communication
- Ability to ensure effective team work, collaborative behaviour and team spirit
- Master degree or equivalent in international business development, preferably in business/commerce, marketing, economics, management, international affairs, political science, development studies or related areas
- A Bachelor degree in international business development, preferably in business/commerce, marketing, economics, management, international affairs, political science, development studies or related areas with additional relevant professional experience of 2 years may be accepted in lieu of the Master Degree
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in project management, project, development, proposal writing or related business development activities for international organizations, NGOs, foundations or similar entities is required
- Two years’ experience in development context is required
- Two years UN/UNOPS experience will be an advantage
- Previous experience in post crisis/post conflict situations will be an advantage
- Fluency in both written and oral French and English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contract Agreement (ICA) Contract level: International ICA 2
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.