Human Resources Assistant (G5 part-time TA)
The JPOSC is an end-to-end service centre dedicated to the management and administration of the JPO Programmes of UNDP and of several other UN Organizations (UN Women UNAIDS, UNCDF, UNIDO, UNSSC, UNFPA, UNITAR, UNOPS, UNU, UNRWA, UPU, UNV, WHO, WIPO and UNWTO). The JPOSC manages the full cycle of the JPO assignment, including recruitment, appointment, assignment, on-boarding, learning, career development and counselling as well as separation.
The HR Assistant will be placed with the Partnership and Business Development Team and working under the overall guidance of the Partnership and Business Development Specialist.
The HR Assistant provides HR services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The HR Assistant provides support to the administration of fellowship programmes, specifically the African Young Women Leaders Fellowship Programme. The HR Assistant assists in the recruitment of fellows, implementation and processing of assignment letters, medical insurance, travel and related payments for fellows. The HR Assistants acts as a focal point for HR matters of fellows assigned under the above programme.
Clients with whom there is direct contact include fellows administered by JPOSC. Partners include UNDP country offices, UNDP Regional Bureaux, units in UNDP Bureau for Management Services and Office of Human Resources, the UN Payroll, Medical, Insurance, Transportation units and the Executive Officers/HR Assistants in global UNDP.
The HR Assistant is accountable for the integrity, transparency and equity of the management of UNDP resources, particularly the contracts management and payments assuring full compliance with relevant UNDP policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures implementation of organizational strategies related to fellowship programmes and optimization of business processes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR processes and records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Input to business processes mapping as applicable;
- Suggests ideas for streamlining of procedures to deliver optimal client service.
2. Implementation of HR services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Within clearly established delegated authority, policies, rules and procedures; administers fellowship assignments, including communicating with fellows, obtaining relevant documentation and preparing assignment letters.
- Processes requests for payments, enrolment in medical clearance, visas, security clearance, etc;
- Processes payments in ATLAS (i.e. travel, vouchers for reimbursement, etc);
- Ensures completeness and appropriateness of documentation to process fellowship assignment letters;
- Maintains data in ATLAS. Follows up on missing information/documentation to support data entry. Generates required HR reports for monitoring purposes in JPOSC and RBA;
- Replies to queries from fellows, UNDP country offices, Regional Bureau for Africa, Office of Human Resources on work related issues;
- Briefs fellows on fellowship assignment and related benefit and keeps them informed of work progress;
- Assists with completion of fellowship assignments and end-of assignment travel, as required;
- Maintains proper filing system for HR records and documents;
- Assists with planning and administration of recruitment and selection processes;
- Manages and proactively organizes the tasks delegated from the supervisor;
- Supports on-boarding and training activities for fellows as applicable;
- Undertakes other job-related duties as assigned.
3. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains knowledge management prescriptive content within functional area ensuring that knowledge management system contains accurate and comprehensive coverage of relevant HR content;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Participation in relevant trainings for HR staff.
- Innovation - Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership - Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management - Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication - Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery - Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Case Management - Ability to organize, record, and manage employee interactions with HR. Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work.
- Operational Efficiency - Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported in order to meet operational needs.
- Client Orientation - Ability to focus on results for clients by providing information, being accessible, understanding need and giving them due priority.
- Team Building - Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals
- Knowledge Management and Learning - Ability to focus on continued personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acting on learning plan and applying newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with at least five (5) years of relevant working experience, or
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business or Public Administration, Development Studies or other relevant area with relevant experience of at least two (2) years.
- For candidates holding secondary education: 5 years of relevant experience in HR, administration or programme support service at the national or international level is required;
- For candidates holding Bachelor’s degree: 2 years of relevant experience in HR, administration or programme support service at the national or international level is required;
- UN knowledge or experience would be desirable;
- Knowledge of UNDP administrative rules and regulations is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of French, Portuguese or Arabic is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers, office software packages and web-based management systems (ERP system, MS Word, Excel, etc) is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.