Operations Manager, Afghanistan
IDLO IN AFGHANISTAN
For over 15 years, IDLO has been assisting Afghanistan to develop a more inclusive, accessible, and professional justice sector. IDLO is currently implementing three projects in Afghanistan covering professional capacity development, access to justice, and a large-scale assessment of the justice sector. In its programmatic work, IDLO has developed a strong partnership with a broad range of Government stakeholders including the Supreme Court, Attorney General’s Office, the Ministry of Justice (among other Ministries), as well as civil society organizations promoting access to justice.
Under the supervision of the Chief Of Party and in collaboration with the Regional Program Manager, Asia, as well as with other service departments at IDLO HQ in Rome, the incumbent will oversee the day-to-day operations of the Afghanistan Country Office and will be responsible for efficient procurement, and logistical services, management of information and communication technologies, and provide assistance with human resource, and security matters:
- Manage and coordinate operational support functions for the IDLO program in Afghanistan including human resources, procurement, logistics and information technology services.
- Ensure that the policies, procedures and systems regarding operations services in Afghanistan office are in compliance with IDLO's institutional standards and approach, while at the same time taking into account the realities of working in Afghanistan.
- Provide support to the overall management, coordination and planning for IDLO office in Afghanistan including the relationship with local implementing partner.
- Ensure that operations and program staff have the necessary facilities, resources, and motivation to effectively meet their goals and work in a safe and secure environment.
- Lead, motivate and coach the operations team, facilitating the cultivation of appropriate skills to continuously enhance sound working relationships within the Office.
- Monitor the program implementation environment, including the security environment, political development, and human resources issues that may affect implementation of IDLO projects.
- Maintain a highly efficient and secure Office Services function with a strong focus on client-service for both internal and external users.
Procurement and Human Resource Management
- Ensure the IDLO Afghanistan Country Office complies with corporate procurement policies and procedures.
- Ensure the IDLO Afghanistan Country Office complies with corporate human resources policies and strategies.
- Ensure optimal staffing of the office and projects.
- Ensure effective talent management, including recruitment, induction, and learning.
- Ensure necessary human resources policies and procedures are in place and consistently applied across the IDLO Afghanistan Country Office.
IT and Communications management
- Ensure efficient and effective IT service delivery and usage through management of technical support service and internet service contracts in the office and the examinations computer-based testing suites.
- Maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Graduate-level degree in Business Administration, Management or related field is required.
- Professional qualification in any of the following: Finance, HR, Procurement, or Project Management is desired.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience with operations management including finance, human resources and administrative functions at international level working ideally with US donor-funded projects.
- Previous experience in team supervision is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Dari and/or Pashto language skills an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills and competencies
- Broad experience in team and budget and resource management, strategic planning and capacity building.
- Understanding of various donor rules and regulations, in particular, US donors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A self-starter, able to identify improvements to working practice, make recommendations and implement changes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work constructively with several internal service departments.
- Proven ability to develop and foster productive working relationships across a globally-based organization.
- Proven ability to carry out tasks, set objectives, and deliver results.
- The ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The successful candidate will be contracted for an initial period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension, depending on satisfactory performance and continued funding availability.
For this internationally recruited position, IDLO shall offer a monthly basic salary of USD 10,000 and an additional benefits package including a lump sum relocation allowance, a monthly hardship allowance, provident fund at 14%, medical and mission insurance, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave and rest and recuperation (R&R).
This is a non-family duty station. The Program runs a five-day working week from Sunday to Thursday. Accommodation, cleaning, laundry and meals are provided in a pleasant, secure and fully serviced compound. Rigorous security is in place at all times.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline is December 31, 2019.
We recommend to apply as soon as possible as we review applications on a rolling basis.