For over 15 years, IDLO has been assisting Afghanistan to develop a more inclusive, accessible, and professional justice sector. While significant progress has been made, many challenges remain. These challenges are frequently perceived to be rooted in the ongoing conflict, the impact of insecurity, and the public’s fear for their safety. In partnership with its partner institutions in the justice sector and civil society, IDLO aims to assess the current state of the justice sector, study the impact of insecurity on the development of the justice system, and identify interventions that can ameliorate this impact. Existing research also indicates that security concerns continue to hamper women’s professional participation in Afghanistan’s justice sector, with very few specific strategies in place to protect them. The goals of this exercise are to expand access to justice in unsafe, rural, or remote areas, continue improving the capacity of justice sector professionals, and advance women’s meaningful participation in the justice sector.
As part of this assignment the Research Expert is expected to:
- Coordinate with the program team, work with the research team, partner institutions, civil society, and outside experts to set the parameters, design, and methodology of the research project.
- Assist in the development of a workplan, manage the research schedule, and help manage the research team to meet their goals on time.
- Liaise with the IDLO Department of Research and Learning.
- Identify appropriate sample sizes and respondents, and research participants.
- Develop all necessary research tools such as questionnaires, interview guidelines, checklists, workshop exercises, focus group discussion topics and guidance, etc.
- Lead collection, processing and analysis of all data collected.
- Participate and lead consultation and validation workshops.
- Ensure quality control and that the research team understands and abides by ethical and context-sensitive research standards.
- Train and prepare the research team to conduct field work.
- Possibly travel for field work and data collection.
- Analyze and present collected data.
- Participate and ensure quality during the drafting of the study/assessment.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Master’s degree or higher in law, political science, international affairs, sociology, or similar field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in research and methodological design, preferably with a focus on governance, law, access to justice, security, or gender issues in fragile and conflict environments.
- Must have previously published research reports and/or assessments individually or as a lead contributor as part of a team.
- Prior experience working in Afghanistan or a similar context is an advantage.
- Must be fluent in speaking, reading and writing and an excellent communicator in English.
- Dari and/or Pashto language skills strongly preferred.
- Must be competent in research design and implementation and the collection and analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Must be able to develop assessment tools such structured interview forms, questionnaires, checklists, focus group discussion parameters, etc.
- Must be competent in the use of data analysis software such as SPSS or at minimum high capacity level with Excel.
- Must have a firm grasp of the ethics and standards of social science research.
- Must have strong report writing skills.
- Solid interpersonal skills and works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries;
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit;
- Ability and willingness to travel within Afghanistan, security permitting.
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives; and
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage diverse applications. Kindly attach only Curriculum and Cover Letter.