Executive Associate to UN Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the UN Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator (UNR&HC) the Executive Associate ensures effective and efficient functioning of the UNR&HC office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate can supervise the secretarial and clerical staff of the office. He/she works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the UNR&HC office. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the UNR&HC office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the UNR&HC office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of UNR&HC calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Ensuring that briefing materials are provided in timely manner for the appointments, meetings, missions.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of UNR&HC missions, including travel arrangements, and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of UNR&HC for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the UNR&HC office.
- Ensures provision of effective communications support to the office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNCT and the UN Coordination Unit.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to UNR&HC.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of UNR&HC office, including data/ schedule management, maintenance of protocol, information flow.
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems.
- Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
7 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Excellent computer skills, experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web based management systems.
Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic languages