Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Maintenance of protocol procedures;
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Preparation of informal translations;
- Management of RR/DRR missions and representation schedule;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists;
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of RR/DRR for his/her signature and doing follow-up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the RR/DRR offices.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system;
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of reports to RR/DRR;
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence;
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate divisions.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries;
- Organization of trainings to UN staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
- Ability to plan and organize events.
- Ability to manage meeting requests and appointments with ease and positivity.
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Maintains effective client relationships.
- Basic research and analysis. Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education;
- University Degree or equivalent in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Sciences or related field would be desirable, but is not a requirement.
- Secondary education with at least 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 years’ experience in above areas;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web- based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Samoan both written and verbal.
- This vacancy is open to Samoan nationals only.
- Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.