Programme Associate (Nutrition) Service Contract, level 6- Kigali
Join us to make a difference.
WFP Rwanda seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Watch this video to know more about us: WFP Corporate Video
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Rwanda, WFP works in partnership with the Government and other stakeholders to support national priorities for achieving food and nutrition security. This is done through direct implementation of integrated programmes targeting the most vulnerable people and strengthening national capacity to design, implement and manage programmes for achieving zero hunger. Under its Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), WFP’s support revolves around four strategic outcomes (SOs) as follows:
- The Strategic Outcome 1 (SO1) is designed to ensure that refugees and returnees in Rwanda have access to adequate and nutritious food at all times.
- SO2 aims to ensure that vulnerable populations in food insecure communities and area have improved access to adequate and nutritious foods all year.
- SO3 focuses on ensuring that children under 5 years, adolescents and pregnant and lactating women in Rwanda have improved access to nutritious foods and services to meet their nutritional needs all year.
- SO4 targets smallholder farmers especially women and aims to provide opportunities for increased marketable surplus and access to agricultural market through efficient supply chains by 2030.
WFP Rwanda is currently seeking a Programme Associate (Nutrition) to provide effective specialised support and technical analyses to nutrition policy and programme activities that effectively meet nutritional needs of vulnerable people. The Programme Associate (Nutrition) will be expected to provide nutrition-related support to all four SOs.
JOB TITLE : Programme Associate (Nutrition)
JOB GRADE: Service Contract- Level 6
REPORTING TO: Head of Nutrition
DURATION: 12 Months renewable
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer (Nutrition) and the overall supervision of the Head of Nutrition, the Programme Associate (Nutrition) will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various nutrition-related policies, strategies, programmes, projects and activities, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider nutrition policies and guidelines.
- Provide project management support to nutrition-related programmes, projects and activities, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes and projects that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
- Support the preparation of presentations, reports and data analysis on nutrition programmes and policies ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners including government on nutrition policies, programmes, strategies, action plans, protocols, guidelines, manuals etc.
- Provide support for operational partnerships, including inter-agency collaboration, to ensure a strong multi-sectoral response to nutrition and actively participate in relevant platforms such as the One UN Network, Technical Working Group, UN Network for SUN, etc. when the need arises.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with partners and WFP field staff for timely and accurate reporting of nutrition activities including data entry into the corporate M&E platforms to ensure efficient delivery and management of food assistance.
- Coordinate the organisation of meetings including steering committee meetings, and workshops with partners, and maintain up to date database of partners.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform any other duties as required.
At least a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition, Public Health, or any other related field
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working in nutrition and/or public health related activities.
- Experience in nutrition project management and engagement in policy discussions.
- Experience and exposure to working with nutrition and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience in conducting nutrition analysis and report writing.
- Experience in contributing to the development of nutrition-related policies, strategies, guidelines/protocols, manuals.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Good computer knowledge and skills and good knowledge on statistical software for nutrition analysis.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and under strict deadlines.
- Ability to engage effectively with a wide range of colleagues and partners.
- Proactive, takes initiative, courteous, tactful, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to handle additional tasks.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
The deadline for receiving applications is 28 August 2019
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.