IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Information Technology Division (CIO) is responsible for all IT activities within the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). CIO performs the following critical roles on behalf of FAO\: defining FAO IT policies and providing strategic advice on IT architecture and standards, governance, policy and operational matters while monitoring organizational compliance; defining the mechanisms for managing FAO’s information and data; protecting FAO’s information assets and ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability; ensuring provision of IT services that are core for FAO’s global operations and supporting the information and business processes; coordinating organization-wide IT activities in order to reduce duplication and fragmentation and to increase integration of information data, systems and platforms, mobilizing IT resources from across the Organization.
Under the supervision of the IT Officer, the incumbent will execute activities within Component 2 of the Digital Agriculture CapEx project described below.
The Digital Innovation Programme focuses firstly on rural households, youth and self-employed entrepreneurs in agricultural sector. It is working to overcome barriers to adoption and promotes digital inclusion that unlock new market opportunities and deliver significant socio-economic benefits that transform rural communities and food and agriculture systems in order to accelerate poverty alleviation, job creation, and food security.
In 2007, in collaboration with 13 founding partners, FAO launched the e-Agriculture Community of Practice (CoP), where people from all over the world exchange information, ideas, and resources related to the use of ICT for sustainable agriculture and rural development. With over 14,000 members from 170 countries and territories, the e-Agriculture Community includes individual stakeholders such as information and communication specialists, researchers, farmers, students, policy makers, business people, development practitioners, and others.
In 2018, CIO has presented and approved a proposal to the FAO Capex Board named “Developing the Digital Agriculture Global Strategy”, which aims to\:
- Component 1\: Revise the FAO-ITU e-Agriculture Strategy Guide and Toolkit
- Component 2\: Redesign the e-Agriculture Community of Practice
- Component 3\: Build capacity of a Business Model for Digital Agriculture in selected countries
The incumbent will work with the Digital Agriculture team within the Digital Innovation Unit. The Unit is responsible for leading digital solutions and processes in FAO in addition to address innovative approaches and partnerships related to ICTs for development and to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The scope of work for implementing the Digital Agriculture CapEx project will be limited to Component 2 of the CapEx project described above.
There are a number of existing platforms that host FAO’s Communities of Practices or knowledge networks that share both characteristics and capabilities gaps. Instead of addressing the gaps with ad-hoc solutions, the IT Division aims at addressing the issue in a systematic way by defining a model for an integrated solution with heighted capabilities to engage members and grassroots change agents, as well as final beneficiaries. The e-Agriculture Community of Practice represents one of the use cases to be considered for this solution. Within this component, delivering a high-fidelity solution design (mock up) for a solution which will be used by a community of communities and includes channels to reach and engage with grassroots, will be the primary focus of the role.
To support the design of an integrated solution, and the redesigning of the e-Agriculture Community of Practice, the incumbent will work in a team to\:
Conduct user research and user testing to design an integrated solution for existing CoPs at FAO
Design and facilitate 3 design workshops to gather solution requirements, co-design user journeys, co-design solution, and draft a solution design and interface (i.e. deliver a high fidelity mock up)
Ideate, design, and test of human centered triggers, motivators, and features for FAO Communities of Practice to encourage user engagement and participation, inclusive of grassroots (change agents, and final beneficiaries), e.g. gamification
Identify, provide recommendations and assess the feasibility of mobile delivery mechanisms and process flows of digital platform solutions for key technical information and knowledge of FAO and partners to reach the last mile.
Develop user testing plan for the solution, conduct user testing of concept, and validate proof of concepts through of interactive visual prototypes of solution capabilities
Carry out user testing of solution modules as they are developed, suggest improvements and fixes
Analyse process and capitalize lessons learned and recommendations to support FAO with future user research and design work
Perform other related duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Communication, Graphic Design, Art
- 2 years of relevant experience in UX design, including designing new solutions for international development sector
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- University degree in Computer Science, Communication, Graphic Design, Art, Behavioral Science or related field
- At least 1 year of relevant IT experience.
- Working knowledge of English
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvemet
- Proficiency in User Experience and User Interface design
- Proven track record in delivering end-to-end user research and testing for digital solutions
- Expert knowledge in visual prototyping, and rapid prototyping methodologies
- Ability to prepare low-fidelity, mid-fidelity and high-fidelity designs
- Proven experience with UX design principles and best practices
- Proven experience with Human-Centered-Design; experience with HCD in development center is desirable
- Excellent communication skills including strong visual communication and design, proven ability to convey complex ideas through clear communication and presentations, and concise reports
- Experience working with grassroots communities in food and agriculture topics is desirable
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency