Procurement and Logistic Associate
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Procurement and Logistic Associate is responsible for supporting effective procurement and supply chain management of goods and services planned under RSHQ Project. Specific responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with project personnel and managers in preparation of their procurement plan
- Support in monitoring the implementation of procurement plan and provide feedback to senior team member for review
- Review the approved requisitions from the project personnel and ensure that they are properly registered in the procurement database
- Carry out regular market searches for the operational requirements of the project
- Prepare UNOPS solicitation documents, namely RFQs, ITBs, and RFPs
- Actively assists in bid evaluations of contractors/ suppliers as well as claims pertaining to outstanding contracts/procurement actions; subsequent endorsement of invoices in accordance with UNOPS’ Financial Rules and Regulations
- Assists in monitoring and control of procurement processes including receipt of requisitions, organization of RFQ, ITB and RFP, receipt of quotations, bids and proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS Procurement Manual and Financial Rules and Regulations (FRRs)
- Reviews and verifies procurement-related submissions to the Management and Committee approval
- Prepare the UNOPS contracting documents, namely Contracts for the supply of goods and services, and Purchase Orders
- Reviews and verifies purchase orders for goods, contracts for services and works
- Effectively uses procurement process monitoring systems and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement
- In consultation with senior team member, support Project Manager in ensuring full compliance with UNOPS procurement activities and Procurement Manual, Financial Rules and Regulations (FRRs), relevant Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions and effective use of internal Standard Operating Procedures in procurement and control of workflows
- Assist in maintaining appropriated records to ensure that procurement processes, decisions, and contractual agreements are accurately documented for accountability and audit purposes
- Create vendor proles, Purchase Order and Payment Requests in OneUNOPS (UNOPS Financial ERP)
- Provide logistic support for the delivery of project goods and services, for obtaining receipt of goods, proper delivery reports, or relevant certificates, and ensure that proper inventory is taken
- Maintain and update auditable project inventory records, assist with the preparation of financial reports for donors and beneficiary Government counterparts.
a) Monitoring and Progress Controls
- All RSHQ project procurement activities are conducted in accordance with UNOPS rules and regulations and are completed in a timely manner.
- RSHQ projects procurement plan for works is updated regularly and contracts for works on RAIP projects are awarded in a timely manner.
- Proper coordination with other UNOPS units is maintained at all times to achieve effective completion of procurement functions under RSHQ projects.
b) Final Product:
- Effective management of the procurement functions on projects
- High School Diploma, with 6 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement at the national level or Bachelor’s with two (2) years of progressively relevant working experience.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel)
- Similar experience within the UN system will be a distinct advantage.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations preferred
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English is required
B. Core Competencies
- Good working knowledge of MS Office application (Word, Excel), email and able to easily navigate Internet.
- Knowledge of UN rules and regulations would be a distinct advantage.
- Be able to uphold and respect procurement ethics and to conduct activities with integrity.
- Is a team player who demonstrates patience, flexibility and honesty.
- Is able to manage and mentor a team of procurement officers and supervise them in a participatory and capacity building manner. Be willing and able to meet tight deadlines and work long hours when required.
- Is a self-starter, who is able to plan and manage his/her own work, takes initiative and strives to meet deadlines.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contract level: LICA-6
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.