SDG Outreach and Engagement Intern
In September 2015, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted by UN Member States. Central to the Agenda is the set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which define a plan of action for people, planet and prosperity to be undertaken by all countries until the year 2030.
The UN SDG Action Campaign, is a special initiative of the UN Secretary-General that aims to inspire, connect and mobilize everyone to join the global movement to take action for the SDGs. The Campaign brings together the UN, national and local governments, youth groups, civil-society organizations, the media, and the private sector through calls to action and creative platforms to scale-up, broaden and sustain the global movement of SDG changemakers. Based in Bonn, Germany, the UN SDG Action Campaign leads global engagement opportunities and initiatives including: the Global Week to Act4SDGs on 20-30 September, the SDG Global Festival of Action, held annually in Bonn, the MYWorld survey to capture citizen views on the SDGs, the UN SDG Action Awards, and the SDG Action network.
The UN SDG Action campaign is seeking to engage 1-2 interns who are passionate about the SDGs and are highly motivated to join the Bonn team to assist with partner outreach, engagement and support.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities will include:
Engagement and outreach
- Support the development and implementation of outreach efforts to increase the awareness of and participation in the UN SDG Action Campaign activities
- Offer creative ideas for engagement strategies and content to expand campaign reach
- Provide support and follow-up to campaigns with direct outreach to UN SDG Action Campaign partners around the globe.
Digital Content and Partner support
- Support development of UN SDG Action Campaign toolkits and digital content, including drafting and designing content updates, coordinating translations, curating and posting stories, testing and roll out of tools
- Provide direct, timely and quality responses to queries from users, partners and UN country teams
- Document user feedback and frequently asked questions and share with the internal team
- Support the ongoing improvement of toolkits, identifying and capturing resources and good practices in campaigns
- Strong writing and clear communications skills
- Good organizational and digital skills
- Self-confident, self-starter with the ability to work independently on projects
- Digital campaigning, social media and graphic design skills are an asset
- English required, other UN languages are a strong asset
Required Skills and Experience
- Enrolment in Master’s or equivalent in international relations, sustainable development, social sciences, communications or related disciplines or within one year of graduation
- Academic or professional experience in areas relevant to the SDGs
- Demonstrated experience in campaigns, youth or civic mobilization an asset
- Open to EU citizens or other nationalities currently studying/living in Germany.