IT Solutions Developer (Web Developer) SC 8
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Join us to make a difference!
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤ Make a difference, the world will notce. We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍 Build bridges that unite people across the world. Being part of a global, diverse and multi cultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡 Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find. WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about WFP,
Job holders report to teh Head of Business Analysis Unit.
Job holders typically work under the guidance of a more experienced staff, receiving guidance and feedback on work performed. They may be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of small, stand-alone systems and applications. They resolve daily issues and provide end-user technical support.
To contribute to the development of efficient and effective IT solutions, creating sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
Within delegated authority, the Web Developer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participate in a team-oriented environment to develop cutting edge web-based, Windows and mobile applications as required
- Maintain existing codebase, to include troubleshooting bugs and adding new features
- Perform unit and integrated testing of new, enhanced or fixed code in order to ensure complete coverage of code and adherence to technical specifications.
- Participate in the installation, configuration and customization of developed systems, as well as integration and migration of data between systems to ensure compliance with WFP’s standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Contribute to the preparation of trainings on existing and new functionalities for capacity building.
- Performing quality checks for compliance, to project and quality management standards.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Education and Experience: Advanced University degree in Computer Science, engineering or other relevant field, or First University degree with at least 3 years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Arabic.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Governance, Strategy and Architecture||Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.|
|Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization||Utilises working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.|
|Technical Expertise||Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.|
|Requirement Definition & Management||Exhibits thorough understanding of business areas and processes to define, prioritize and customize IT infrastructure solutions to requirements.|
|System Design||Able to analyze broad product/service functionality to coordinate design of new technology or assist in technology integration/enhancements.|
|Solution Development||Designs, codes, tests, corrects, and documents programs from supplied specifications, using agreed standards and tools.|
Working Knowledge of jQuery/CSS/Bootstrap/
Full Software Development Lifecycle.
Mastery of developing and consuming APIs
Working knowledge of SQL Server
Hands-on experience with PHP or ASP.Net
Knowledge of MVC beneficial
Applications must be submitted online through WFP e-Recruitment System
• Internal WFP staff can access the VA through the internal WFP CAREER page via the link: http://newgo.wfp.org/services/e-recruitment
• External applicants are kindly requested to follow the link: http://www1.wfp.org/careers/job-openings
Make sure that you answer all mandatory questions accurately and to attach your updated CV in English.
• Join WFP to be part of saving lives and changing lives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4rFCbNDXiw&feature=youtu.behttp://ar.wfp.org/videos/recruitment-video-ar
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
4 September 2019.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.