Procurement Intern - Supply Chain Risk
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS Procurement Group (PG) leads the strategic approach for all procurement and supply chain activities. Procurement Group’s mission is to provide procurement excellence across UNOPS that facilitates efficient and sustainable procurement delivery, enabling the success of our partners and clients. Through a consistent focus on the development of core product categories and long-term agreements with suppliers, the transfer of knowledge through training, policy manuals, best practices, and tools, UNOPS PG ensures that it supplies value, delivers results and changes lives.
To support the integration of sustainability into UNOPS procurement processes, PG includes a small team of experts who support the business to do just that. The team works across the business to continuously enhance and improve how sustainability is integrated into procurement policy, training, guidelines, templates, and tools with the ultimate goal to make sustainable procurement the default modality at UNOPS. The sustainability team also manages several innovation programmes related to the sustainable development of local markets as well as supply chain compliance and risk management on which this internship will focus.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Supply Chain Risk Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting a variety of tasks, with a particular focus alongside the Supply Chain Risk Officer supporting the implementation of UNOPS new due diligence programme DRiVE - Delivering Responsibility in Vendor Engagement
The DRiVE programme works to ensure that UNOPS vendors operate responsibly and in accordance with high standards of integrity, especially with regards to human rights, labor rights, ethical conduct, sexual exploitation and abuse, health and safety and environmental responsibility. This is done through a vendor self-assessment questionnaire, site inspections and the development of corrective action-plans.
While previous experience is not required, the ideal candidate will be familiar with the concepts of sustainability and / or human rights and business. Working knowledge of procurement /supply chain and previous experience with data analysis will be considered an asset.
Some of the specific tasks for which the intern may be involved with include, but are not limited to:
- Data Analysis: Assist in the collation, verification, analysis of supplier data collected from the DRiVE programme.
- Reporting and Communications: Assist with the development of dashboards, reports and key conclusions from the analysis of supplier data. Support the development of regular communications for internal and external audiences on the progress of the DRiVE programme.
- Research and analysis: Support research projects (i.e. data collection, market research), including on new and innovative trends in the area of supply chain risk,sustainability or other related fields. Coordination support: Support the Supply Chain Risk Officer with the coordination of a variety of workshops, missions and meetings with internal and external partners. Support training events/initiatives including set up, logistics and implementation.
- Other: Performing other related duties within the Sustainable Procurement Team and Procurement Group as required.
Applicants must be enrolled in a university degree such as a Bachelor, Masters or Ph.D., or have graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship.
While no prior work experience is required, some previous experience in data analysis, reporting, sustainability, human rights and business or corporate social responsibility (through work, education or other), supply chain risk, audit and investigations will be considered an asset.
Analyzing data, creating charts and pivot tables, and using functions in spreadsheet tools such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
Creating documents and presentations using tools such as Microsoft Word / PowerPoint or Google Docs / Slides
Using and creating data visualizations and dashboards using software such as Google Data Studio, PowerBI, Tableau
Knowledge of databases
Fluent English is required. Knowledge of another UN language such as French, Spanish, Russian or Arabic is an asset.
IMPORTANT: All applicants must submit a Cover Letter with their CV that outlines their motivation for participating in this internship. Applications submitted without a Cover Letter will not be reviewed.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility to extend for another 6 months
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.