Director, Information Technology Services
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Information Technology Services (ITS) provides leadership, direction and support in the use of information technology (IT) systems and services to support the Pan American Health Organization in carrying out its mandate. ITS is also responsible for the information and cyber security across the organization. ITS establishes and maintains IT-related strategies, policies, standards and procedures. The department ensures the effective and efficient provision of information technology and telecommunication services across a geographically dispersed environment.
Under the general supervision of the Director (D), and the direct supervision of the Director of Administration (AM), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties\:
- Lead the management, operations and support of the PASB Management Information System (PMIS), in coordination with all relevant partners and stakeholders; provide leadership on the continuous optimization roadmap of PMIS, and ensure established governance, oversight and compliance with organizational strategies and rules; chair the PMIS Advisory Committee and regularly update EXM on PMIS strategic matters and risks;
- Coordinate the implementation of the Organizationâs Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Strategy; ensure that it is aligned with the Organization's business needs and strategic plans; establish, propose and maintain the Organization's information technology governance, policies and guidelines;
- Provide strategic advice on IT and innovation to executive management and through partnerships with all managers;
- Direct and manage the Information Technology (IT) functions of the Organization, including information security and cyber security. This includes PMIS Shared Services, Service desk, IT infrastructure and communication, Cloud services, Intranet and workflows, software development, IT operations, Cyber Security, Information Assurance, Data Centers and disaster recovery sites.
- Provide strategic direction of all information management systems and services, as well as telecommunication and information security; provide overall management and definition of all computer and communication activities within the Organization, including taking a leadership role in the day-to-day operations of ITS functions;
- Oversee the delivery of IT services, including requirements and feasibility analyses, IT procurements, software development and implementation, network management, communications systems, maintenance of corporate systems, infrastructure support, network and data security, strategic planning and business continuity;
- Responsible for developing comprehensive plans regarding acquisitions and modification of the Organizationâs IT infrastructure that are necessary for the support of operations and professional collaboration to accomplish organizational strategic goals;
- Responsible for developing the operation of a diversified technology network that demands the innovative utilization of interconnected computer networks, sophisticated peripheral equipment, and advanced computer software;
- Manage the delivery of the regional Information and Communications Technology (ICT) support model to Country Offices and Centers;
- Develop, define and establish the objectives, strategy, plan and budget of ITS; ensure an Organization-wide approach and strategies and objectives that are aligned with the Organizationâs mission, vision, values, policies, strategies, business needs and priorities, in order to ensure continuing operations and maximize results. Ensure that results and products delivered by ITS are aligned with the Organizational Strategy;
- Determine the viability of, and recommend projects and activities for ITS, as well as determine strategies for implementation, including suitable financing, financial resources mobilization, and executing arrangements. Assure the timely monitoring, reporting and evaluation of results and accomplishments for the benefit of the Member States and the Organization;
- Administer, allocate and monitor ITSâs financial, logistical and staff resources; prepare, and justify its program and budget proposals; plan and organize the formulation, development, implementation and control of information systems to monitor and improve its business processes. Oversee negotiations with suppliers, distributors, federal and state agencies, and other organizational entities and approve contracts and agreements;
- Define ITSâs personnel component including the organizational structure, competencies and terms of reference. Initiate and recommend approval of personnel actions for all ITS staff and assure timely personnel evaluations. Monitor the competencies of ITS to ensure optimal performance and staff development; monitor workloads to ensure equitable distribution of work and maintain job satisfaction, efficiency and output; and follow up on any deviation of work results from objectives;
- Develop, propose and manage the Biennial Work Plan (BWP) and budget for the ITS department, to include regular budget funding, extra-budgetary funding, Information Technology Fund, and other funds authorized by the Director. Ensure commitment and achievement of the milestones established in the approved work plan. Ensure full integrity and compliance with PAHO financial rules and regulations in managing the ITS assigned budget;
- Provide intellectual and managerial leadership to guide and motivate staff to work in a multicultural environment; promote a culture of ethical behavior and integrity in accordance with the Organizationâs Code of Ethical Principles and Conduct in order to ensure a culture of respect, responsibility, accountability, and compliance;
- Provide leadership, guidance and monitoring of supervised staff by setting clear work objectives, ensuring timely and effective use of performance reviews and feedback mechanisms, engaging in regular communications, and solving interpersonal or technical conflicts; establish and support a learning environment, to include staff development in PAHO fundamentals, managerial competencies and technical expertise;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Overall attitude at work\: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organizationâs mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences\: Relates well to diversity in others and capitalizes on such diversity. Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork\: Advocates for collaboration across the Organization. Creates and encourages a climate of team- working and collaboration across the Organization; sees cooperation as a key Organizational priority and creates collaborative systems and processes to achieve Organizational goals. Actively identifies and tackles disagreements between internal and external counterparts that compromise the Organizationâs goals and mandate; diplomatically facilitates the resolution of conflicts between others and ensures strategic partnerships with a range of key stakeholders; maintains and extends an effective collaborative network of individuals inside and outside the Organization.
- Communication\: Articulates the Organizationâs strategic objectives when formulating and delivering information and presentations and adapts presentation methodology to address the needs of different audiences. Establishes a safe environment for others to express their views and takes those views into consideration in decision making as needed. Is aware of cultural differences and uses culturally appropriate non-verbal communication. Supervises (or oversees) and coordinates the development of guidelines, policies and strategies; ensures the Organizationâs strategic objectives are well reflected through written communication and provides quality control for written documents. Shares decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures both understanding and acceptance; shares knowledge and best practice at the three Organizational levels (country, regional and global), as necessary.
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment\: Oversees and provides teams and departments with clear managerial directions which are translated from Organizational strategy. Builds a performance culture in the Organization; contributes to setting Organizational performance goals and standards; monitors Organizational performance against milestones and strategic goals; identifies and nurtures talent as appropriate. Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization; inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organizationâs success.
- Promoting innovation and Organizational learning\: Ensures that knowledge and learning are shared across the Organization, transmitting a sense of responsibility and empowerment down the Organization; builds a culture that encourages learning and development by coaching and mentoring others. Drives and advocates for change as needed, continually promoting new ways to position the Organization for success; is recognized as a key resource within the Organization for generation of alternative perspectives on the Organizationâs mission and work.
- Ensuring effective use of resources\: Sets specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely objectives for own team and/or the Organization; systematically analyses and anticipates priority projects for own team and allocates necessary resources to achieve them; identifies the cross-Organizational resources needed for large- scale projects in line with key Organizational objectives. Anticipates foreseeable changes and adapts own and teamâs projects in the face of unforeseen circumstances and/ or challenges; creates measures and criteria to monitor progress of overall projects against key Organizational objectives; creates cost-effective solutions for the Organization.
- Managerial\: Extensive experience in senior, progressively responsible positions in the management of Information Technology departments, administration of matters requiring sensitive negotiations and political high level interventions, program management, development of long-range information technology plans including defining budgetary needs, determining alternative strategies, performing cost/benefit studies, and addressing implementation and integration strategies related to information technology systems. Resourcefulness, initiative, highly developed judgment and interpersonal skills to deal with difficult and highly sensitive situations.
- Administrative\: Skills or experience in business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, financial management, leadership techniques and coordination of people and resources. Courtesy, tact, sensitivity to manage confidential information, and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different professional levels, discipline, nationalities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Technical\: Extensive progressive experience at a senior decision-making level, in particular in managing complex information technology programs at both national and international levels. Wide and varied knowledge of IT management practices, management of ERP systems, project management, cyber security, cloud Services, IT governance, IT service management, software engineering, enterprise architecture, and information management systems. Extensive experience in developing and leading customer-focused enterprise IT initiatives.
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. A written test may be used as a form of screening. Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations & Rules and e-Manual. For information on PAHO please visit\: http\://www.paho.org PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity. PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco. PAHO/WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary and post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include\: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan and health insurance scheme. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include home leave, travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, education grant for dependent children, assignment grant and rental subsidy. Candidates appointed to an international post with PAHO are subject to mobility and may be assigned to any activity or duty station of the Organization throughout the world. All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post. Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organization purposes.