Senior Administrative Assistant (SAA)
Objectives of the Programme
As per the hiring Department
Description of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Director, the SAA is the recognized focal point for administrative programme activities within the department; guides and trains team members across the full range of departmental support functions; coordinates the provision of all departmental administrative, financial, human resources and services to technical programmes and country offices.
1. Management of the office of the Director\:
Â·Assist in all confidential matters of the Department;
Â·Manage the Departmental internal and external communications flow on all issues and develop and maintain follow-up systems/mechanisms to monitor administrative work progress and Department submissionsâ deadlines;
Â·Develop administrative capacity within the Department by ensuring that\:
i. New staff are properly oriented;
ii. Guide, train and coach team members across the full range of departmental support functions. The incumbent will train and coordinate other training opportunities in the Department;
Â·Follow-up with technical staff to ensure implementation of decision and resolutions of Reginal Cabinet Meetings, Regional Committees, Executive Board and World Health Assembly;
Â·Prepare action points of departmental meetings, circulate to all staff and ensure implementation of these decisions;
Â·Bring to the attention of the Director any problems with regard to staff performance and attendance as well as implementation of decisions.
2. Supervisory Role\:
Â·Plan and organize administrative work within the Department, distribute assignment to other support staff in an equitable manner, ensure proper coverage during leaves and absences in coordination with respective Regional Advisors and supervisors;
Â·Arrange regular departmental meetings for administrative staff; and,
Â·Update staff of new developments and procedures.
3. MONITORING OF HR MATTERS\:
Â·Work closely with the Administrative Assistant on the liaison with HRS on the necessary actions for the recruitment of staff in the department\:
i.Support the director on the shortlisting process including guidance on STELLIS for all positions
ii.Prepare and recommend the final list for approval of the Director for GS level posts
iii.Act as a member of interview panel for GS positions
ivLiaise with HRS on the finalization of position descriptions when submitted for technical review
4. Compliance, Risk Management & Quality Validation\:
Â·Act as the department compliance and risk management focal point (jointly with designated P-staff);
Â·Review administrative compliance and carry-out quality check of Department's administrative documents, to ensure adherence to WHO rules and policies;
Â·In the context of the GSM and e-workflows, act as first level approver/reviewer and validate information and attachments. Identify discrepancies and recommend appropriate options/solutions to originators;
Â·Review and analyze the compliance monthly dashboard/cockpit of the department, circulate it to all staff with supporting reports (including PMDSs, TRs, leaves, awards, donor reportsâ¦ etc);
Â·Create the Risk Register for the department on annual basis, and regularly update data on the cockpit tool;
Â·Upload all needed documents, update and address all issues related to the âPeriodic Attestationsâ on the compliance cockpit; and,
Â·Complete the Internal Control Framework Assessment checklist for the department on a yearly basis, and address any surveys/questionnaires related to it; and to the risk and compliance assessment.
5. PROGRAME MANAGEMENT, BUDGET AND FINANCIAL\:
Â·Act as focal point for administrative matters related to operational planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting;
Â·Coordinates the administrative process of the divisional submissions for planning, mid and end-term reporting and other adhoc office-wide exercises such as corporate funding requests, funding forecasting etc.;
Â·Monitor and follow-through with relevant staff in the department to ensure that award management actions (e.g. AAR, AMR, ADR, planned costs, award budgets) are implemented timely;
Â·Supports the Director in preparing donor proposals and reports in term of quality check and preparation of human and financial resources breakdown. Monitors reporting deadlines to donors and follow-through relevant staff as required.
Â·Request and collate inputs from relevant staff, and draft briefing and summaries/reports as required;
Â·Responsible for ensuring all the HR actions, are in compliance with approved HR plan, including\:
i.Generate reports and performs initial analyses, for various HR review exercise;
ii.Liaise with PME, HRs and BFU colleagues as needed; and
iii. In coordination with the Programme Management Officer, provide advice regarding amendments proposed to be made to the HR plan.
6. OTHER DUTIES
Perform other relevant duties within the scope of responsibility as required.
Essential\: Completion of secondary education supplemented by training in related administrative fields.
Desirable\: University degree in business administration, social sciences, or related field is an asset.
Essential\: At least ten years progressive experience in programme administration and management, including experience in a supervisory role.
Desirable\: Previous related experience within a UN/international organization.
Functional Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent time management and stress management skills.
- Ability to lead, direct and manage a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with multi-cultural staff.
- Excellent communication skills and analytical skills.
- Thorough knowledge and the ability to apply WHO/UN rules, manuals, practices, procedures and WHO Style Guide as applicable to the administrative level.
WHO global Competencies model at http\://www.who.int/employment/WHO_competencies_EN.pdf?ua=1
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Creating an empowering and motivating environment
Use of Language Skills
Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic. French an asset.
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrated ability to operate Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)/Oracle systems an asset.
WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at EGP 283,420 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This requisition is to fill SAA - G7 positions in EMRO Technical Departments.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station
- For assessment of your application, please ensure that your profile on Stellis is updated; all experience records are entered with elaboration on tasks performed at the time. Kindly note that any CVs/PHFs inserted via LinkedIn are not accessible).