Ground Segment Engineer
EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Vacancy in the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
Ground Segment Engineer
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Ground Segment Engineer in the Ground Segment Section, Technologies & Products Division, Telecom Technologies, Product & Systems Department, Directorate of Telecommunications & Integrated Applications.
The postholder will nominally be assigned to the Development Manager role for a specific Project as such reporting functionally for its entire duration to the Head of the Telecommunications System Projects Office.
The Development Manager will be responsible for managing all project-related activities.
Specific duties are:
- successfully managing all project activities in accordance with their declared objectives, schedule and cost;
- end–to-end implementing project activities encompassing design, development and validation activities and pilots;
- managing industrial team to ensure that project objectives are fully met;
- financially managing the project in line with declared cost-at-completion and annual budget forecasts;
- regular technical, programmatic and financial reporting to ESA management and national delegations as needed;
- actively following-up market and technology trends relevant to the Satcom ground segment;
- supporting the establishment and control of relevant ESA requirements, specifications and general documentation, including processes, tools and templates;
- supportin the promotion of the ARTES Programme and corresponding ARTES socio-economic impact analysis.
At the end of the Project, the postholder will resume his/her duties as a Ground Segment Engineer within the Ground Segment Section.
Specific duties include:
- initiating, monitoring and controlingl, in collaboration with the Procurement Department and other relevant ESA Departments, of ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) activities related to ground segment technology and product development for satellite communications;
- supporting activities of other ARTES programme elements and the creation and implementation of ARTES projects;
- reporting regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- Identifying and defining ground segment product and technology needs for future satellite communication services;
- coordinating for provision of the technical support required in the fields of expertise of other ESA organisational units (e.g. D/OPS, TEC) as required to ensure effective initiation and management of the activities.
Applicants should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and contract/subcontract management experience. Experience in ground and user segment technology and equipment as well as subsystem design and development is required. Experience in the satellite telecommunication industry would be a distinct advantage.
Direct experience of working with a commercial telecommunications operator and European industry as well as an in-depth understanding of operating within a European agency framework would be distinct advantages.
Applicants should have a Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in engineering.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 26 September 2019.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented Member States. (http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.