The position is located in the United Nations Resident Coordination Office (RCO) in Iraq and typically reports to the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Researches, analyzes and presents SDG-related data, as well as information on emerging best practices in sustainable development, paying special attention to gender and capacity development, and proposes policy options to RCs/UNCTs;
- Identifies and analyzes issues that impact multiple SDGs and their targets and proposes ‘accelerator interventions' that can help unlock and accelerate progress towards sustainable development across multiple areas;
- Assesses sustainable development trade-offs and risk factors, as well as early-warning indicators that may undermine the achievement of SDG targets and impact the UN’s role and programme in the country;
- Collects and analyzes data on UN country level operations in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- Researches, develops and presents policy papers, guidance notes and other knowledge based-tools for discussion in country-level forums to help influence and advance policy dialogue on achieving the SDGs.;
- Contributes to the preparation of UN flagship reports, including the analysis of data and the provision of evidence to build the case for policies and interventions on SDGs;
- Monitors regional and global economic trends and issues and analyses their implications for the realization of the SDGs at the country level;
- Provides substantive support to the RC/UNCT on SDG-related issues, particularly on policies to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs, including through Mainstreaming, Acceleration and Policy Support (MAPS) and similar processes, and provides advice on potential trade-offs between SDGs;
- Prepares inputs for the UNCT on how UN country-level operations can be optimized and better respond to sustainable development needs and emerging trends in country;
- Together with UNCT members, plans and facilitates an integrated approach to the UN’s policy advice to national counterparts in government and other external partners;
- Plans and directs the work of the in-country UN Joint Policy Team (or equivalent) and drives cross-pillar nexus approaches in country to policy, analysis and assessment.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the UN Development Framework (UNDAF) to ensure that the UN’s country-level operational activities effectively support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in country;
- Provides substantive support to programme formulation and revision throughout the UNDAF cycle, based on sound SDG analysis;
- Contributes to the UN joint programming process to identify and support the formulation of a new generation of UN joint programmes that are aligned with the SDGs, oriented towards investment, and have impact at the national level;
- Assists UNDAF result groups in the implementation of joint workplans to promote SDG-relevant and SDG-responsive UN operational activities for development;
- Plans and facilitates UN support to governmental and multi-stakeholder processes on SDG policy development and capacity development.
- Plans, facilitates and contributes to communities of practice and knowledge networks that promote collaboration, peer support, innovation good practices, lessons learned, needs and opportunities in the area of sustainable development;
- Researches, analyzes and presents best practices and lessons learned from implementation of UNCT projects and programmes, with a view to advising the RC and UNCT on actions to strengthen the policy orientation of the UN;
- Monitors and analyzes best practices and successful models implemented by the UN in country and suggests options for developing these into bankable national SDG investment policies and programmes;
- Contributes to global/corporate guidelines, tools and other materials related to sustainable development policy;
- Follow up and produces reports on the funding status and needs of the UN Trust Funds operatives in country.
- Ability to apply sustainable development theories, concepts and approaches. Ability to conduct independent research and analysis on sustainable development topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Shows skill in developing sources for data collection. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in economics, sustainable development, public policy, business or public administration, social sciences, education or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in sustainable development policy, economic analysis or project/programme management in the context of development cooperation or related area is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- National Professional Officers are nationals of the country in which they are serving, and their functions must have a national context, i.e. functions that require national experience or knowledge of the national language, culture, institutions, and systems.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.