Juba (South Sudan)
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Represent Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and grant management, external representation, legal compliance and manages the country strategy and the project implementation and evaluation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Emergency Health and Nutrition Care, Health and Hygiene Promotion, Water and Sanitation and NFI and Emergency Shelter distributions across fixed and emergency response locations. The purpose of Medair’s programme Sudan is to save lives and alleviate human suffering by working with vulnerable populations and providing essential life-saving health, nutrition, WASH, NFI/ES and mental health and psychosocial services.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to field locations.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
February 2020. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, with senior field managers and GSO staff. Take into account the political and security context, community needs, donor criteria and strategies and possible exit strategies to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Ensure the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, reviewing and refining the management structures and overseeing the development and maintenance of operational procedures for individual projects and support functions.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments to anticipate new projects and initiatives, ensure needs driven, life saving focus. Maintain strong relationships with donors so that Medair is a partner of choice.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers.
- Ensure projective objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets.
- Ensure good communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans. Ensure that the structures are in place to support managers to comply with all applicable operational systems, donor requirements and to meet the country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, donors, UN and other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, to ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Ensure the management of spending within the programme is in-line with the approved budgets.
- Overall responsibility for the safety and security of Medair staff and assets.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme. Chair the local Crisis Management Team.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Ensure there is an effective HR function for all national staff and refer HR issues for international staff to the appropriate HR lead.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere, CHS, and other applicable guidelines, standards and recommendations etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in Management/ Development Studies/ Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject. Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector desirable.
- Security management and/or Leadership training desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
Everyone who works as an Internationally Recruited Staff in one of our field programmes must first successfully complete the Medair ROC. Read more for information, dates and related costs.
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- 1 year experience in managing projects in insecure environments.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Experience and willingness in training staff.
- Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures.