Ciudad Obregón (Mexico) | Sonora
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Agribusiness Specialist to work in the Integrated Development Program (IDP). Please note that this position is a strictly temporary (6 months).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s Pacifico Norte Hub, located at “Campo Experimental Norman E. Borlaug” (CENEB), Dr. Norman Borlaug, Km.12, Valle del Yaqui, Ciudad Obregón, Sonora.
- Collaborate in the field activities as assigned and report abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned.
- Participate in the publication of research results through annual reports, presentations and publications.
- Participate in special projects with other research institutions and international organizations.
- Visit and supervise other CIMMYT field trials and/or research fields of collaborators.
- Conduct, if needed, field surveys and interviews with farmers, and analyze this information, for inclusion in CIMMYT publications.
- Review publications for their inclusion into the database and collect information on the agricultural sector, to prepare articles and economic reports.
- Provide support in the definition of technical assistance activities for the projects: Support for Responsible Supply in Mexico, Responsible Supply of Wheat in Sonora and Sinaloa and MasAgro Productor.
- Carry out monitoring and technical supervision of the modules and extension areas established in the municipalities targeted by the project interventions.
- Inform the North Pacific Hub Manager and the technical coordinators of Sinaloa and Sonora, as well as the Sr. Manager of Partnerships for Market Access, about the activities that contribute to the achievement of the objectives established by the aforementioned projects.
- Carry out technical reports and capture relevant information in the electronic logs and through other required means.
- Support the technicians involved in the projects mentioned (tasks include provision of technical Sustainable Agriculture advice, field logbook registration and organization of trainings and related events).
- Monitor commercial flows of maize and wheat in the context of responsible sourcing projects, coordinating with representatives of the agroindustry and other actors in the value chain (aggregators, integrators and producer organizations), promoting actions aimed at optimizing their commercial operation.
- Follow up on agreements between stakeholders to contribute to the achievement of goals and objectives related to the commercial operation of projects linked to the IDP Program in the North Pacific area.
- Evaluate and provide technical advice and training to farmers and farmers’ organizations in areas such as: Business models associated with intensive and sustainable production, Agriculture through contracts and market risk management mechanisms, Strategic management of grain storage and sale and Development of suppliers in the context of agribusiness, among others.
- Carry out the monitoring or technical supervision of research platforms.
- Develop value chain mapping exercises in strategic areas of the states of Sonora and Sinaloa.
- Provide continued support to long-standing partners in the state of Sinaloa (incl. AARSP and Club de Productores de Labranza de Conservación del Évora).
- Support to the generation of monthly reports (dashboards), reports and development of other administrative tasks as required by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ Degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or any other closely related field.
- Minimum 4 years progressive experience in a cereal production environment (ideally with a focus on sustainable agriculture).
- Understanding of agricultural value chains and familiarity with Mexican food policies, certifications and regulations.
- Experience with agribusiness management tools (business modeling, finance and accounting, contract farming and/or risk management strategies).
- Intermediate level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of B2 as per CEFR).
- User advanced level of usage in MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Time Management, Achievement Orientation, Pro-Activity and Problem-solving.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to M19227 Agribusiness Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, September 10, 2019. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.