EiB Module Leader – Software and Data Management
Excellence in Breeding is a cross-commodity platform from the CGIAR (www.cgiar.org) that supports the modernization of breeding programs. It is key to the CGIAR’s effort to target multiple continents for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, these CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of their system. Now two years old, EiB has become a key part of this effort.
With its headquarters located at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT, Texcoco, Mexico) EiB enjoys technical access and collaboration with 15 other sister centers as well as with advanced research institutes and the private sector. Their mandate calls for the platform to provide access to cutting-edge tools, services and best practices, all of which are supported by application-oriented training and practical advice.
The CIMMYT campus in the Mexico City region has been the center of public center breeding for maize and wheat since the days of Norman Borlaug. The area enjoys four mild seasons and a great quality of life, with scientists of more than 35 nationalities resident at headquarters.
Module Leader – Software and Data Management
The Module Leader, Software and Data Management will bring experience and an understanding of two discreet fields – plant breeding and project/program management – to an EiB module that focuses on developing breeding software and managing breeding data. She or he will help breeders all over the world achieve higher rates of genetic gain and extract maximum value from their efforts by assessing their needs, identifying the software and data solutions that will be right for them, and then supporting these systems through the engagement and implementation stages.
The successful candidate will have familiarity with breeding software packages but will not need to bring computational/programming skills to the table as EiB has strong collaborators who are engaged in the actual programming efforts. Our client is looking for a variety of skills in areas such as bioinformatics, quantitative genetics and breeding, and data management. On the project management side, skills in communication, assessment, and alignment are required, as well as a knowledge of how to prioritize project details and ensure the proper execution of programming in order to achieve the highest possible rate of genetic gain per dollar invested and per unit of time.
The Software and Data Management Module Leader will execute activities such as:
- Developing strategies to provide software support for breeding activities;
- Documenting critical breeding processes and breeding software needs for multiple crops;
- Ensuring that all activities across several software development programs are aligned with breeding program needs at CGIAR centers and national partners;
- Providing consulting to breeding programs on deployment and adoption of breeding software;
- Defining high level deliverables and prioritizing key aspects of these programs;
- Identifying go-to key members at local partners and then setting improvement plans and aligning adoption activities with those key staff;
- Participate in writing grants and proposals as needed, getting buy-in from centers and stakeholders on a global level;
- Drive and execute software and data management projects in a timely manner in order to better integrate the breeding workflow;
- Scale this effort and grow the module, spanning formal software development in genomics, informatics, simulation, and R&D.
Previous Experience Required:
- Experience with breeding software and the evaluation of effective tool utilization in a high genetic gains environment;
- Logistics planning and resource budgeting experience;
- Consensus building and collaboration skills and the ability to work with breeders of all kinds;
- Critical evaluation skills, and the ability to select and implement new breeding tools such as new approaches in breeding information systems.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A PhD with 5+ years or a MS degree with relevant experience, and the focus on plant breeding, quantitative genetics, computer science or a related field;
- Excellent project management skills and experience resourcing software projects;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and teamwork skills, with a collaborative attitude;
- Great project management skills and an understanding of how to set clear timelines for breeding programs, coordinating projects across many cross-functional breeding groups;
- Experience providing software support for plant breeding operations;
- An in-depth understanding of practical breeding applications and logistical constraints;
- Results focused, pragmatic attitude and solid decision-making skills;
- Budgeting and time management skills;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills in English.
If you are interested in this role or can provide suggested contacts for CTI on this search, please contact us in confidence. Our search is not confidential and this document may be redistributed.
Dave Jensen, CEO and Founder
(928) 274-2266 Cell (Preferred)
Ryan Raver, PhD, Managing Director
(734) 658-3420 Cell (Preferred)