JUNIOR ASSOCIATE - ENGINEER (two positions)
UNDP and the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning (MoEPP) are implementing the project “Strengthening institutional and technical Macedonian capacities to enhance transparency in the framework of the Paris Agreement” (CBIT PROJECT). As the project title indicates, the immediate objective of the project is to meet enhanced transparency requirements as defined in Article 13 of the Paris Agreement by strengthening institutional and technical capacity for measuring and reporting on emissions, mitigation and adaptation activities, and support received. It will use three means of strengthening capacity in this area: 1) Strengthening national institutions for Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) and aligning transparency activities with country priorities; 2) Ensuring that organizations and individuals have the necessary training and tools to conduct MRV activities; and 3) Transitioning arrangements for data collection, analysis, and reporting from a project-based cycle to a continuous process.The project supports the Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning – MOEPP (as climate change focal point institution) to increase its capacity for transparency activities by providing resources for a designated MRV Unit, training and equipping the Unit and other agencies that provide data inputs for MRV, and establishing a system for continuous data collection, analysis, and reporting. Five young professionals shall be engaged in order to assure continuous, regular update of the national GHG inventories and establishment of a Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system.Given the above, UNDP would like to engage two Junior Associates - Engineers to support implementation of the CBIT project within the planned MRV Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment
The Junior Associates - Engineers are expected to provide support to monitoring, reporting and verification team (MRV) in transposition of the relevant climate change provisions arising from the UNFCCC and EU policies into the national legislation
Scope of work
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Junior Associates shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Acquaint with the country’s requirements arising from the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Paris Agreement and the EU accession process relevant to climate change, as well as with the latest climate change reports and activities in the country;
- Support transparent reporting to the UNFCCC and the EU in climate area;
- Improve their knowledge and capacities for regular fulfillment of national and international commitments related to climate change;
- Support the process of preparation and reporting of national inventories of greenhouse gases and indicators, especially in industry, energy, transport and waste area;
- Support preparation of recommendations to MoEPP and the Government for submission of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and monitoring / reporting on progress in their implementation;
- Assist in developing MRV scheme for adaptation measures;
- Assist in preparing various climate change recommendations / questions / reports;
- Support gender mainstreaming in climate policies at national and local level;
- Assist in creating a list of national networks of experts in the field (relevant MRV in key relevant government organizations, as well as national experts);
- Prepare briefings for relevant committees, key sectoral ministries, Government, Parliament, municipalities and civil society on transparency activities and NDC in close cooperation with the rest of the MRV team in the MoEPP;
- Assist in identifying tools for mitigation, adaptation and reporting;
- Support cooperation with the education sector with an aim to introduce climate change in the educational curriculums at all levels.
EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES:
Junior Associates are expected to deliver monthly reports to the Project Manager. The payments shall be done monthly.Total 12 monthly progress reports shall be prepared and delivered.
The consultant will work under direct supervision by the Project Manager and will closely collaborate with the UNFCCC Focal Point. The required reports shall be submitted in English and Macedonian language.
DURATION OF THE WORK
The initial duration of the work is estimated to in the period of 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020. The contract can be extended up to May 2022 on yearly bases, depending on the positive performance evaluation.
DUTY STATION AND TRAVEL
The duty station will be in Skopje. Travel is not expected. If unforeseen travel is requested by UNDP it will be covered by UNDP in line with applicable rules and regulations and upon prior written approval of the Project Manager.
- Excellent communications and facilitation skills;
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
The selected candidates shall possess:
- University degree or equivalent in the thematic areas relevant to the assignment (e.g. engineering, IT, or other technical sciences);
- Minimum 1 year of experience in the fields relevant of the assignment;
- Previous relevant experience in development and implementation of projects, participation at research studies, analyses, assessments, reports in areas relevant for the project shall be considered as an asset.
- Ability to conduct, compile and draft reports based on field and desk-based research;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF BEST OFFER
The candidates shall be evaluated against the mandatory criteria. Shortlisted candidates shall be invited for testing and interview. The financial offer shall be requested only from shortlisted candidates that will be invited for an interview.
DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED
Interested offerors are invited submit the following documents/information to be considered:
1. Most updated CV with focus on required qualification as well as the contact details of at least three (3) professional references;2. Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.