Duties and Responsibilities
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to programmatic instruments.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned, especially in the areas of public sector reforms, e-government, development coordination, access to justice, transparency and anti-corruption, citizen security.
- Design of new initiatives and project proposals in the above sectoral areas in line with the Country Programme Document 2019-2023 of UNDP Malawi.
- The incumbent will contribute to the promotion and observation of the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy particularly with regard to the mainstreaming of HIV and gender equality in all programmes and projects under her/his management.
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of gender and disability responsive performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Initiation of a project or programme, presentation of the project or programme to PAC, Programme Team and Senior Management; entering project into Atlas ( in small offices), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of the projects/programmes, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects/programmes.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports and UNDAF Outcome reports within assigned thematic/sectoral areas.
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities. Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs in close collaboration with Academia and top-notch practitioners, on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects/programmes, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Mobilize resources in support of the new project/programme proposals to be designed under this portfolio as well as other regional initiatives on Public Sector’s Management and Rule of Law.
- Provide capacity support to both government and civil society to effectively exercise their respective roles towards improving citizen’s participation in their own governance and development, with specific targeting of youth, women and other vulnerable groups.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of innovations, best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice with attention to best practices published in social networks such as Teamworks, Fusion, Twitter etc.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate and comparative advantages.
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives
- Gathers and analyses feedback from staff
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Gathers, analyses and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Results focussed
- Demonstrating creativity and innovation
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- UNDP Certification programmes Prince2, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Law, Political Science, Public Administration, Social Science, or related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management and substantive advisory services, hands-on experience in design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects/programmes in the governance field.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and social knowledge networks.
- English proficiency is required; working knowledge of other UN official language or other language at the duty station is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.