Civil Engineer-Retainer (Home based)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
Kenya Multi country Office (KEMC) has its own Technical and Design Services Unit (TSU) which consists of design production office and engineering project management cell, consisting of Civil, Structural, M&E Engineers, Architects, Design Associates and Quantity Surveyors. The TSU carries out low risk engineering works and building structures. This generally involves concept designs, feasibility studies and low/medium risk designs that include buildings of up to 2 stories in height (as per the UNOPS design planning manual) and civil works that may include using standard designs of structures for rural roads. High risk building and structure designs are outsourced to specialist design firms.
Under the overall supervision of the Technical Service Unit Manager, the Civil Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to translate documents between English and French, and manage and co-ordinate any designs assigned and related documentation works. Although most of the assignments will be done from home, occasionally travel will be expected to project sites located in the hub countries.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Translate documents
- Collate feedback and prepare consultation/assessment reports
- Perform and Coordinate the structural design works and submissions
The consultant will be requested to work from home and be prepared to travel to any site in or around the countries under KEMC as required and as UNDSS permits.
An agreed scope, deliverable and the maximum time duration will be agreed upon by UNOPS-KEMC and the Civil Engineer prior to commencement of each assignment.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Assist in preparing design briefs and design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary.
- Translate technical documents (including but not limited to briefs, drawings, specifications, reports and bills of quantity) from English to French and vice versa.
- Assist in preparing comprehensive design documentation, specifications, bar bending schedules and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing.
- Work closely with other Architects, Engineers and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design.
- Assist in ensuring the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs for review by Design Unit Manager.
- Carry out structural design of services for projects according to the client’s design requirement and as per applicable international standards and codes of practices.
- Strong ability in producing structural bill of quantities of the projects proposed.
- Assist in monitoring delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible none or late delivery prior to the event.
- Carry out structural site inspections and assessments as required.
- Assist in the development of specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required.
- Proactively assist the Technical Unit Manager in managing the design projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget contraints.
- Liaise with international clients and address requirements when required.
- Assist in coordinating the works and submissions with all other disciplines; Architectural and Service design Engineers and Quantity Surveyors.
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design.
- Assist in carrying out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Assist in reviewing and certifying Structural design documentation as a third party independent body when required.
- Assist in coordinating the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned.
Assist in ensuring high project design and construction quality, observing all local/international and UN standards applicable; and all relevant health and safety procedures..
- Bachelor Degree in Civil & Structural Engineering from an accredited university is required;
- Advanced Degree from an accredited university is desirable;
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in Civil & Structural Engineering Design and implementation is required.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience working on Civil & Structural Engineering projects in both English and French is required
- Experience working on international/local projects in conflict/disaster prone areas will be an added advantage.
- Experience working in Africa and Indian Ocean Islands will be an added advantage
- Excellent written and spoken English is required
- Excellent written and spoken French is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA 1
Contract duration: Ongoing subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability.
This is a home based position
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMC)
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KMCO sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and South Africa. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and several island states.