Senior Info. Comm. Technology Associate, (GS-7), San Jose, Costa Rica #110511
San Jose (Costa Rica)
UNICEF Costa Rica country office is looking for a Senior ICT Associate
UNICEF is a knowledge leader for children’s rights and wellbeing and a growing body of evidence reveals that, whatever their cultural and geographic contexts, many children now use ICTs as part of their everyday lives. ICTs can be used to gather real time information in development and humanitarian settings, to increase engagement of children and other stakeholders and to collect information to better shape and measure the impact of policies. UNICEF’s mandate cuts across many aspects of the Sustainable Development Goals, and further work is required in areas of cybersecurity, child online protection and information systems supporting child protection initiatives. ICTD must therefore increasingly partner with appropriate policy departments, internally and externally, in addition to supporting the digital transformation of the organization itself. In the process of developing the 2018-2021 UNICEF Strategic Plan, special emphasis has therefore been put on how technology can lead to improvements in service delivery as well as how technology and innovations can serve to reach the most marginalized and hardest-to-reach children.
For every child, protection
Under the supervision of the Operations Officer, the Senior Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Associate performs specialized activities pertaining to the implementation of ICT management systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for review and advice on the use of innovative technologies that will enhance the County Office’s ability to produce technologically richer results. The Senior ICT Associate promotes a client-oriented approach.
How can you make a difference?
ICT Office Customer Service Support:
The Senior ICT Associate enlists the support and cooperation of client staff from across the office in the installation and maintenance/troubleshooting of ICT applications.
Proactively interacts with colleagues, users and user groups in establishing applications requirements and proposes them the concerned development entity (ICTD, external vendors, etc.), provides training in new systems and applications and monitors optimal utilization.
- The Senior ICT Associate coordinates with external service providers, such as telephony providers, and consultants, ensuring delivery of ICT services for prompt resolution of service issues.
Senior ICT Associate performs specialized IT application administration activities to ensure functionality and efficient user interface.
Accountabilities/key results include:
Analyzes functional issues, develops functional specifications and identifies the need for new systems or re-engineering/enhancements of the existing systems or applications.
- Supports the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new applications and systems and customizing existing applications, in accordance with global policies and guidelines.
- Provides second-level support to users on systems applications including assistance on technical issues, setting up user access security profiles, and other related user issues.
Drafts technical documentation and manuals.
Assesses training needs, develops and presents structured and ad hoc training to users as required.
- Assists in the management of specialized ICT projects, particularly in the area of development and implementation of new systems and applications.
- Prepares periodic and ad hoc reports.
ICT Innovation and Programme Support:
Spearhead the technical support to approved innovation initiatives and work closely with programme staff to facilitate proper implementation.
Supports technical and operational knowledge transfer to programme staff, implementing partners and beneficiaries to build capacity and nurture independence.
Assists in the selection of training providers and the development of training materials.
Collaborates with programme sections and use their advocacy, outreach and dissemination tools for better utilization of technology to advance the delivery of results.
- Supports supply and programme staff to establish local LTAs for ICT-related programme contracts for services and products.
Provides oversight of providers and third-parties of ICT-related services and products to programme.
- Assists in the facilitation of project management methodologies trainings and supports the application by staff, counterparts and implementing partners.
ICT Risk Management:
- Actively learns and implements modern ICT risk management techniques and procedures in alignment and compliance with corporate standards.
- Identifies system vulnerabilities and relevant security patches; prioritizing, evaluating, testing and applying third party patches, as per global policies and guidelines.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
Maintenance of staff training profiles to ensure optimal level of office-wide proficiency in the use of soft/hard technological means.
Synthesizes lessons learned and good practices in ICT to use within the office.
- Contributes to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Information Systems,Telecommunications, Engineering.
- ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification is an asset. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- Advanced knowledge of the organization’s ICT regulations, rules and procedures as well as systems and applications.
- In-depth knowledge of computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software (e.g. Windows, MS Office, and other apps), hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment.
- Advanced knowledge across multiple technical areas such as ICT administration, system analysis/development methods, database, Web management, networking and security, operating systems, applications, or business process analysis, as required.
- A minimum of seven years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
- Experience in aiding users on IT products and services and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
- Practical experience in providing technical and business customer support and services is required.
- Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications, as needed, is required.
- Fluency in Spanish. Good working knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
- Ability to effectively develop and provide training.
- Ability to correctly and promptly identify problems, develop solutions and resolve issues.
- Ability to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
- Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.