Technical Adviser (Agribusiness Incubation Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
IMPORTANT NOTICE\: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) of Saudi Arabia. The project UTF/SAU/051/SAU ‘Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is a project within the framework of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project’s expected results will be achieved through the implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of subtropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishers and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rainfed cereal production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the PMU of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The Technical Adviser reports to the Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for agri-enterprises and value chain development.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of departmental/divisional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with departmental/divisional objectives and FAO’s Strategic Objectives
• Provides technical leadership assistance on the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; assists in the review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, liaises with relevant parties; identifies follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programme-related activities and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Contributes to consultative and other meetings, conferences, including proposals for agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Participates in activities such as structuring of training workshops, seminars; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Advises on the development of policies and strategies, as well as national protocols and guidelines for projects with specific domains related to FAO's work.
• Leads comprehensive situation analysis for small and medium scale agribusiness enterprises to give direction to the sustainable development of the sector;
• Assesses the status of rural agribusiness enterprises and local skills available in target commodities and identify its development scope and constraints;
• Undertakes technical capacity needs assessment for small producers, their cooperatives, agri-entrepreneurs, and value chain actors on agribusiness management, and value chain development;
• Undertakes entrepreneurship skills needs assessment for small producers, rural youth and women to start and manage agri-business enterprises;
• Establishes an agribusiness incubation programme as a viable mechanism for promotion of small agribusiness entrepreneurship particularly among youth and women;
• Develops commodity/enterprise specific viable business plans for each of the targeted commodities;
• Establishes models for small businesses for the development and dissemination of rural traditional agricultural food enterprises and develops a mentoring programme to promote rural agribusiness and traditional food enterprises;
• Develops agri-entrepreneur models to demonstrate and promote rural youth and women involvement in small agribusinesses;
• Designs and delivers needs-based training programmes on entrepreneurship agribusiness management, and value chain development for small producers and their cooperatives and other value chain actors including youth and women;
• Identifies and promotes innovative, cost effective technologies for traditional/indigenous agri-food production among productive families and indigenous food producers and facilitates development of infrastructure and logistics needed for production and processing of rural agri-food and traditional commodities;
• Establishes partnership and collaborations to sustainably provide the platform with technologies and practices appropriate for each commodity, small agricultural producers and agribusiness entrepreneurs;
• Contributes in development of knowledge products and awareness campaigns for promotion of small and medium agribusiness enterprises;
• Prepares quarterly and semi-annual project component progress reports and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Seven years of relevant experience in technical cooperation-related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in agribusiness incubation and value chain development;
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical cooperation's related activities, policy advice and analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development, monitoring and evaluation of policies and programmes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in agribusiness incubation and value chain development with intergovernmental bodies and multidisciplinary teams;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the implementation and management of technical assistance for capacity strengthening in the field of agribusiness incubation and value chain development;
• Demonstrated capacity to coordinate country level activities and to organize and lead consultative processes involving several partner institutions and stakeholders;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the development of results frameworks, logical framework, project work plans and budget;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Arabic is considered a strong asset.