Local Security Assistant - Facilities Security Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage the integrated physical security system at UNCC/Abuja;
- To develop and implement contingency plans at UNCC/Abuja;
- To tailor and facilitate vital security training/drills/exercises at UNCC/Abuja;
- To conduct an accurate and up-to-date risk assessment of organizational facility assets and implement mitigating measures in line with valid SRMs, policies, regulations, and procedures;
- To supervise and control the work of UN contracted private security service (UPSS) provider(s);
- To supervise the Fire Marshal deployed by the contracted Unarmed Private Security Service (UPSS) Company for the UN facility;
- Conduct risk assessment of the UN Facilities, identify vulnerabilities and assign priorities to address these vulnerabilities under the overall guidance of CSA;
- Plan, Design and Implement security measures in line with instructions from FSCO/FCT;
- Monitor the implementation of security policies and procedures and all matters pertaining to the safety and security of personnel, premises, and assets.
- Maintain and control the functioning and efficiency of physical separation (fences, barriers, gates, lighting, fence, walls, etc);
- Maintain, monitor and control functioning of the physical access system hardware (mechanical locks, latches, keys and cylinders, etc);
- Maintain and control the functioning of electronic access hardware and electronic lock controls (card readers, intercom systems, biometric credential verification, highest level security systems, metal detectors and other devices to protect from intruders);
- Maintain and control the functioning of security systems e.g. CCTV, vehicle barriers, x-ray machines, etc;
- Supervise, manage, and control the work of UN contracted UPSS in line with binding UNSMS Security PManual Procedures (SMP);
- Coordinate the deployment of QRF (Mobile Police Officers (MOPOL) provided by Host Government in line with FSCO/FCT guidelines;
- Plan and facilitate training for UN Contracted UPSS in line with binding UNSMS SMP;
- Liaise, coordinate and collaborate with the local government security organizations regarding security arrangements on UN facilities.
- Supervises the Fire Marshall of the Unarmed Primate Security Services Company to accomplish the following:
- Preparation and implementation of policies, standards, regulations and procedures for fire and occupational safety as per UN standards;
- Conduct fire safety assessment and inspections on UN buildings/facilities and recommend appropriate fire safety measures;
- Respond to Fire Emergencies, rescue and damage control operations. Coordinate fire fighting and damage control assistance from Abuja (FCT) Fire Department;
- Develop Building Evacuation Plans and Procedures. Establish and maintain Floor Fire Warden System for all occupied buildings within the premises. Conduct fire drills on a regular basis and provide training and briefing on fire evacuation and safety procedures;
- Coordinate with Common Services (UN House Manager) on the design and testing of fire protection systems to ensure that they are in accordance with the fire and life safety codes;
- Investigate all fire incidents including damage to the facility.
- Prepare and issue daily orders and tasks for UPSS and QRF
- Enforce Parking and Traffic Regulation in the UNCC/Abuja to facilitate the safe and smooth flow of traffic;
- Ensure Installation, check and repair of locks and latches; duplicate and exercise control on keys or combinations, as necessary;
- Keeps under custody, master and sub-master keys as well as all keys providing access to offices, stores, conference halls, and other restricted areas;
- Administers and operates the key duplicating machine;
- Ensure regular inspection of door cylinders handles and hinges and ensures their normal working conditions;
- Facilitate the security screening of conference facilities at UNCC/Abuja prior to the events;
- Maintain records of lost and found items.
- Perform any other duties as deemed necessary by the Chief Security Advisor.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary school, military/police academy background or security training certification;
- A University degree from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Ten (10) years working experience preferably in the national security services: (military, police, corporate or INGO security context);
- Good driving skill and possession of a valid driving license;
- Advanced computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Experience in security management with the UN or international agencies.
- Proven experience in report writing;
- Experience with the training of staff in security awareness.
- Capacity in establishing a relationship with Host Government security apparatus;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection, and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Ability to travel;
- Physically fit to undertake outdoor operational field activities and deployments.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.