Director, Liaison Office with the Russian Federation (LOR)
Moscow (Russian Federation)
Summary of Duties and Functions
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Director-General (Programmes), the Director, LOR, ensures effective liaison, on behalf of FAO, with the Government of the Russian Federation, the civil society and the International Organizations based in the country. He/she represents the Director-General before the Government of the Russian Federation, and\:
- facilitates communication and cooperation with the Government of the Russian Federation, the civil society and the international organizations;
- ensures that the Government of the Russian Federation and the international organizations based in the country are informed of main FAO policies and positions, and promotes increased cooperation and partnership;
- identifies and analyses developments regarding government policies, legislation, programmes and public opinion in the country;
- keeps abreast of information on food, agriculture and rural development issues and on FAO objectives, policies and programmes;
- ensures that such relevant information, including emergency appeals, is made available to the Government of the Russian Federation, Government departments and agencies concerned with the work of the Organization, to the public including NGOs, the private sector and academic institutions based in the Russian Federation;
- represents FAO in meetings convened by the Government of the Russian Federation, international organizations based in the country and the civil society, on issues of importance to the work of the Organization;
- ensures that FAO officials visiting the Russian Federation are provided necessary support and are adequately briefed on their missions and provides appropriate management and administrative guidance to the staff of LOR;
- performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in Economics, International Relations, Public Administration or in any field related to the mandate of FAO.
- Extensive managerial and professional experience in public and international relations and affairs and in fields related to the mandate of FAO or to that of other international or national organizations dealing with development issues.
- Demonstrated professional competence, proven leadership capability and effective management skills; relevant knowledge of and experience with private and public institutions and policies.
- Commitment to multilateralism and the ideals of the United Nations.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, maturity, tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated abilities in advocacy and fund raising work.
- Ability to lead and work effectively with a diverse team of people of different national and cultural backgrounds in an international setting
- Relevant professional experience in developing countries dealing with technical support and advice would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of English and Russian.