Re-advertised: UN House Security Guard, Almaty
The Security Guard implements his /her duties under the direct guidance of Senior security guard and UNDSS Security Advisor for Kazakhstan. Within limits of delegated authority, the Security Guard is responsible for ensuring a safe & secure environment for UN Common Premises and assets, and acts in accordance with this Job Description and other security-related UN/UNDSS/UNDP documents.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide general security services for UN Common Premises;
- Ensure effective access control measures are in place at UN Common Premises;
- Emergency Communication System and response.
- Ensure uninterrupted and full coverage of the security measures to protect UN personnel, the UN House, and its property and assets;
- Conduct routine patrols and/or sector patrols to check the security of the UN building, personnel, equipment and adherence to rules and regulations;
- Monitor fire/security equipment, and the communications network to ensure security and discipline. In case of a fire/security alarm, to act in accordance with the instructions, and register the measures taken in the logbooks;
- Monitor all CCTV equipment in the premises. In case of contingency situations, take appropriate actions as necessary;
- Immediately inform senior security guard and or UNDSS personnel in case of emergency related to the security of the UN House and UN staff, such as intrusion, fire, bomb threat and any other security threats and take necessary actions in accordance with the appropriate security instructions;
- Receive, record and appropriately act on information received through all communication means with observance of the safety measures;
- Participate in new security training, be up-to-date with the latest security techniques;
- And any other duties as directed by the UNDSS Security Advisor.
Access control to UN Common Premises:
- Acts as primary contact person for visitors with their requests for information, access, and assistance in critical and non-critical situations;
- Monitor all visitors in/ out of the Common Premises; maintain log book of all persons entering and leaving the premises accordingly;
- Check visitor’s identity documents and conduct searches when necessary and in accordance with SOP`s;
- Provide opening, closure, and entry into buildings to ensure security of the UN Staff, premises;
- Remain polite and patient when giving security-related instructions to UN staff members and when in contact with the visitors;
- Any other duties as directed by the Senior security guard and or UNDSS Security Advisor.
- Acts as primary point of contact for all UN Emergency Communications and manages daily communication requirements in conjunction with the UN requirements for Kazakhstan;
- Transmit and receive messages by radio, telephone, e-mail and satellite phone as required;
- Maintain a situation electronic log where all occurrences related to the operation of the Communication Centre are entered and ensure that no unauthorized communication are not exchanged on the network;
- Ensure that all equipment under his/her responsibility are in good working condition, arranging prompt repairs/replacement when required;
- Liaise with UN offices on movement of personnel. Keep track of the vehicles and personnel outside their duty station and maintain Movement Control electronic log;
- Conduct VHF/HF radio as well as per UN Radio calls signs;
- Maintain chronological files for all incoming and outgoing fax, e-mail and radio messages, ensure timely delivery of messages;
- Other tasks authorized by the DO/SMT/SA.
The key results are safe & secure environment for UN Common Premises Almaty, Personnel and Assets. UN personnel receive security-related information and emergency response in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to work in Team.
- Proven and efficient communication skills (verbal and written).
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Ability to operate both analogue and digital UN telecommunication equipment/ systems;
- Familiar with computer systems.
- Good knowledge of UN security, safe and administrative rules and regulations;
- Certificate of BSAFE Course.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and different points of view.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education, special training courses would be an asset;
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation is desirable;
- Solid computer skill (MS Word and Excel) is an asset.
- Experience in security service minimum 2 years is required;
- Military service or Police service would be an advantage;
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A good working knowledge, both written and spoken of English and Russian languages is necessary;
- Knowledge of Kazakh language is highly desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.