Requisition ID: req6481
Job Title: Monitoring Assistant
Sector: Community Development
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Amman, Jordan
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At-work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 25 countries around the world.
In response to the influx of Syrian refugees to Jordan in mid-2012, IRC opened a country office and launched humanitarian assistance programming. IRC operates throughout Jordan, with the main office in Amman and a field office in Mafraq. IRC’s programs assist Syrian refugees and vulnerable Jordanians in host communities across multiple sectors: education, livelihoods, protection, women's protection and empowerment and child protection in close coordination with the Jordanian Government and broader Humanitarian Community.
High-quality Early Childhood Development (ECD) programs provide the foundation for children’s future academic success, health, prosperity and wellbeing. A large body of scientific evidence emphasizes the need for increased investment in early childhood, particularly for children experiencing conflict, crisis and displacement; these children are extremely vulnerable to the long-lasting effects that prolonged stress has on the developing brain.
In December 2017, Sesame Workshop and the IRC were awarded the MacArthur Foundation’s inaugural 100&Change grant to make real progress toward solving a critical problem of our time. With the extraordinary investment of $100 million, our partnership will transform the language, early reading, math, and social-emotional skills of a generation of children ages 0-8 affected by the Syrian war. Focusing on children in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria over the next five years, the inclusive plan combines the depth of in-person services, reaching 1.5 million children, with the breadth of mass media, reaching 9.4 million children. For more information, please visit: http://refugee.sesameinternational.org/.
The Monitoring Assistant will support the Jordan MEAL Manager, ECD Coordinator, and Regional Research, Monitoring, and Learning Lead with oversight of the inclusive ECD program’s M&E framework, including the design and roll out of data collection tools, staff training, data analysis and the production of M&E reports used for learning, programmatic decision making and reporting to donors.
Scope of work:
The Monitoring Assistant will be responsible for the data collection, data quality checks, information management and reporting for monitoring of the Ahlan Simsim Jordan Program. The Monitoring Assistant will assist Jordan MEAL Manager in updating the monitoring plans, and indicator tracking tables and ensure that high quality data is collected at the field level and aggregated across Ahlan Simsim Jordan. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation and information management, preferably with expertise in ECD or other programming with young children.
- Work closely with Jordan MEAL manager to implement the IRC inclusive ECD program’s M&E plan in consultation with Jordan MEAL Officer and MEAL Manager
- Ensure that M&E data collection is timely, accurate, organized according to the M&E plan, and clearly documented so that the ECD program can track its outputs and outcomes.
- Coordinate with IRC program staff to ensure that M&E data collection is aligned with activity implementation schedules.
- Create monitoring work plan for data collection in collaboration with ECD MEAL officer.
- Undertake regular field visits to collect data using pre-designed monitoring tools (including surveys, structured observations of ECD activities, focus group discussions with IRC staff and beneficiaries).
- Train monitoring assistants and other relevant personnel on the monitoring data collection tools (in Commcare) and processes.
- Conduct regular data quality checks using process agreed upon with M&E manager.
- Notify and follow up with the MEAL officer regarding any monitoring challenges, data quality issues, and comments and feedback from the field.
- Assist the MEAL officer and program staff to establish, implement and maintain effecting unique coding system for Ahlan Simsim participants, centers and activities.
- Update monitoring tools as needed (using Commcare software) to resolve any problems encountered during data collection in the field.
- Digitize any new/updated monitoring tools as needed, using Commcare or ODK software.
- Manage ECD monitoring database in Commcare, to ensure accurate compilation of data across ECD activities and export data to Excel, Stata, or similar software for analysis as needed
- Collaborate with other Jordan MEAL staff to ensure that information management processes are as efficient and easy to use as possible.
Analysis, Reporting, and Learning
- Analyze and report monitoring data for Jordan ECD activities, which are conducted across sectors (ECD, Health, WPE)
- Share monitoring data with program staff on a regular basis to ensure use of data to improve programming
- Contribute to organizing quarterly learning and reflection meetings to share M&E data with Ahlan Simsim program staff so that they can use M&E findings to improve program implementation.
- Create graphs, tables, and other summaries of monitoring data as needed for reports to donors, IRC, or other stakeholders
- Ensure that all monitoring numbers in IRC, donor, or other reports are accurate and consistent
- Ensure all activities are child and gender sensitive and follow IRC Child Safeguarding Policy.
- Apply Do No Harm standards to ensure activities do not have detrimental effects on vulnerable communities.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to reinforce the acceptance of IRC in the community.
- Participate in internal office coordination and planning meetings and workshops.
- Flexibility on other duties as assigned for program or professional development.
- All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Jordan MEAL Officer
Indirect Reporting: Jordan MEAL Manager, Jordan ECD Coordinator; Regional Ahlan Simsim Senior Manager for Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: The position closely works with the Jordan MEAL Coordinator, Jordan ECD Research Manager, Research Officer, and ECD Managers and Officer to communicate M&E plans, activities, and results. The position also liaises with the Jordan Deputy ECD Coordinator, M&E and Technology for Programs Teams in other programs within IRC Jordan, Regional M&E team, and other regionally and HQ based ECD staff.
External: The Monitoring Assistant works with New York University researchers and engages with ECD and M&E staff in IRC’s Lebanon, Iraq, and Syria ECD programs.
- Bachelor degree in, International Relief and Development, Computer Science, Statistics, Social Sciences, Industrial Engineering, Business administration or related field.
- Certification or specific training in Statistics and/or Data Management.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in the area of M&E, preferably on ECD interventions.
- At least 1 year of professional experience at management level.
- Experience developing technology in low-resource settings.
- Demonstrated experience in developing data collection tools for M&E (e.g. surveys, structured observations, focus group discussions).
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team to ensure high quality data collection
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in analysis of quantitative data (using Excel, SPSS, Stata, or similar software) and qualitative data (using
- Strong computer literacy, including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated experience working with ICT tools to collect and analyze data, such as ODK softwares (ONA, KOBO) and Commcare
- Demonstrated experience in drafting English reports.
- and analysis.
- Strong ability to work independently, organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, prioritize work under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Fluency in Arabic and English, written and oral.
- Personal qualities: works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible, sense of humor, ability to work across various teams and stakeholders, and able to handle pressure well.
- Demonstrated experience using Commcare
- Experience with use of Stata for data analysis
- Experience building the capacity of teams.
- INGO experience.
The position is based in Amman, and expected to travel to Mafraq, Irbid, and Ramtha, Za’atari and Azraq refugee camps.
WOMEN OF ALL BACKGROUNDS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY