Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advice and support to UNDP management on economic and development issues;
- Advice and facilitation of knowledge building on economic and development issues;
- Creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization;
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP’s mandate and mission.
- Tracking of economic data, provision of periodic analysis of economic and development issues and production of relevant reports aimed at promoting equitable economic growth and human development;
- Provision of analysis and substantive inputs to CCA, UNSDCF, CPD, and other strategic documents;
- Provision of economic inputs to all relevant UNDP programmes and projects for aligning UNDP programmes with national policies and priorities;
- Analysis of economic environment and synthesis of proposals on possible areas for UNDP support to ensure that UNDP programmes are in line with national policies and priorities and are strategically positioned;
- Coordination of the production and launch of economic reports, including National Human Development Reports, HDR, etc.
- Analysis of the country’s development financing landscape including MSMEs, financial incision, SDGs financing, etc.;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned;
- Support to the management of the office in facilitation of policy dialogue on economic issues with the Government, private sector, civil society and development partners;
- Provision of capacity building support on economic issues to starff and partners.
- Assistance to UNDP in resource mobilization by preparing analytical papers documentation for donors and consultative meetings;
- Analysis and research of information on donors; preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation;
- Assistance in creation of strategic partnerships by preparing notes, speeches and statements for UNDP officials and consultative meetings.
- Advocacy for the SDGs, Human Development and inclusive growth by participating in relevant forums, TWGs, conferences and trainings;
- Support to monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of agenda 2030 of sustainable development and the sustainable development goals;
- Management of events and publications on economic issues.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
- Good knowledge of economics and current development issues particularly those pertinent to UNDP’s Practice Areas;
- Ability to analyze data, apply conceptual models, policy frameworks;
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research.
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics, microeconomics.
- 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level;
- Experience in qualitative research and policy-level analysis, development financing and development issues, etc.;
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station, Amharic.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.