Supply & Logistics Assistant, GS5, TA, Batch Recruitment, Caracas, Venezuela, LACR
How can you make a difference? Under close supervision of the Logistics Associate, carries out the receiving, storage, packing and loading of shipments to and from UNICEF’s warehouses. The Supply & Logistics Assistant reports to the Supply & Logistics Officer for guidance and general supervision.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a fair chance
The scale of needs resulting from the outflow of Venezuelans is rapidly surpassing the capacities of receiving countries, further straining already vulnerable host communities. An estimated 2.6 million Venezuelans are currently living abroad, including nearly 2 million in countries within Latin America and the Caribbean. Women, unaccompanied children and indigenous groups are particularly at risk of violence, discrimination, trafficking, exploitation and abuse. More than 600,000 people are estimated to be in need of WASH services throughout the neighboring countries, and the health and nutrition situation of children and lactating women is also deteriorating due to the lack of available quality food and drinking water, and unsanitary conditions. The dynamic and complex nature of population movements require ongoing monitoring and assessment and a differentiated and flexible response for the diverse group of vulnerable people.
UNICEF is scaling up its response to children and women on the move, prioritizing its response and scale up its capacities, field presence and programme activities inside Venezuela and bordering countries, while also providing advocacy and technical assistance to these and other receiving countries. The regional strategy promotes cross-sectoral activities such as cash-based programming and community engagement, while also ensuring to link humanitarian and development activities to improve the resilience of communities.
How can you make a difference?
Under close supervision of the Logistics Associate, carries out the receiving, storage, packing and loading of shipments to and from UNICEF’s warehouses. The Supply & Logistics Assistant reports to the Supply & Logistics Officer for guidance and general supervision.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Register the warehouse’s movements in UNICEF’s warehouse Vision (Receptions, movements and deliveries).
- Supervise the loading and un-loading of trucks and containers.
- Carries out the receiving of shipments into the warehouse.
- Undertakes the transfer of goods into the warehouse for storage.
- Processes the picking requests from the warehouse.
- Ensures the labelling, stacking and palletization of the packed boxes according to the customers’ requests.
- Coordinate de transport and register the Waybills in vision.
- Coordinate with the Implementing Partner the supply deliveries.
- Participates in the annual physical inventory count.
- Maintains files with all required warehouse movements.
- Provide support in logistics, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of programme supplies. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to support logistics operations management and contribute to effective service delivery.
- Following UNICEF policies and procedures, assess warehousing capacity including facilities, conditions of equipment, manpower, and processes. Propose corrective actions to supervisor. Assess new warehouse facilities when required. If necessary, assists the implementation of new warehouse facilities which may include installation and assembly of temporary warehouse structures (e.g. Wiik-Halls/Rub Halls type structures).
- Support to the maintenance of appropriate warehousing and inventory management processes in support of the country programme implementation. Ensure accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are in place, and relevant records are properly maintained
- Assess availability of space and prepare stacking and storage plans to ensure appropriate storage and optimize use of space.
- Prepare stock reports. Monitor inventory to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary. Carry out regular physical counts of inventory in the warehouse. Prepare documentation for commodity disposal through Property Survey Board committee. Keep track of near to expiry supplies ensuring FIFO and FEFO approaches.
- Performs any other duties as requested by the Supervisors.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to supply chain, business administration, contract/commercial law or similar
Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible administrative and/or supply-related work experience (procurement, supply or logistics) is required. Familiarity with UNICEF, UN supply procedures and systems is an asset.
Fluency in Spanish is required. Fluency in English is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are: * Leading and supervising (I) * Formulating strategies and concepts (II) * Analyzing (III) * Relating and networking (II) * Deciding and Initiating action (II) * Applying technical expertise (III)
View our competency framework at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Remarks: Please note this is an emergency fast track recruitment. Successful candidates MUST report at the duty station within 30 days from receipt of offer.