Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst is responsible for management of UNDP programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned. The Programme Analyst analyzes environmental, social and economic trends and leads formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within his/her portfolio, provides policy advice services.
The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP Food Security, Environment and Energy programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Through analysis and research of the environmental, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned, and ensure alignment with the national policies and strategies such as Poverty Reduction Strategy, Food Security Strategy Paper, National Biodiversity Strategy Action Plan, National Environmental Management Plan etc.
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
2. Ensures effective management of the CO programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Utilization of UNDP’s global programme management database/Intranet (ATLAS) to ensure effective and standard management of all food security and Environment related projects.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, entering project into Atlas ( in small offices), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Good understanding of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and mainstreaming into Food Security Energy and Environment project such as MDGs of Eradicating extreme poverty, Gender Equity and Ensuring Environmental sustainability.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Apply donors’ monitoring and evaluation tools and procedures, and share results and lessons learned in transparent and timely manner. Understand external environment, identify and notify the prevalence of any potential risks affecting programme implementation and propose realistic risk management options.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
3. Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Sound contributions to the global Energy-Environment (E-E) knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
Knowledge Management and Learning
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Management and Leadership
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Natural resources Management and Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.