Consultant - Research Associate (Economics)
UNDP Malaysia is committed to assist Malaysia and its people in establishing sustainable pathways to development and achieving its ambition of becoming a developed nation by 2020. Over the years, Malaysia's progress has been impressive: the country has achieved or is on track to attaining the MDGs at aggregate level by 2015. Moving forward, UNDP Malaysia is currently assisting the Government in its implementation of the 11 Malaysia Plan and including the upcoming formulation of the 12 Malaysia Plan. Inline with Strategic Priority 2018-2021, we have the necessary knowledge and experiences to overcome challenges in the areas of:
- Poverty Reduction and Inclusive Growth;
- Democratic Governance;
- Crisis Prevention and Recovery;
- Environment and Energy for Sustainable Development;
- Women's Empowerment.
Policy and programmatic strategies are identified jointly with the Ministry of Economic Affairs (previously Economic Planning Unit in the Prime Minister’s Department) and implemented by over 10 ministries and agencies, civil society organizations, academic institutions, think-tanks and the private sector. The office also serves as a liaison for UNDP offices worldwide in their engagements with the Government of Singapore and Brunei Darussalam.
The overall objective of the assignment is to support the Country Office’s role in strengthening the effectiveness and impact of UNDP’s support to the 2030 Agenda in Malaysia and the region overall through the provision of high-quality economic analysis and advisory. Together with the Development Economist, the Research Associate will provide analysis for formulation strategies and briefings to Management Team and works closely with Government counterparts to identify policy options and to enhance the policy impact of UNDP projects and programmes. Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Malaysia’s Development Economist and overall guidance of the Senior Management of the office, the Research Associate provides research and administrative support services which have a high standard of quality, accuracy and consistency.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective 1: To provide effective research and analytical support to the development economics work undertaken in UNDP Country Office
- To supply background statistics and minor empirical analysis that are relevant to the economics work undertaken in the office
- To prepare literature review or landscape report of case studies, ‘accelerator’ innovations and best practices and policies regarding impact financing, poverty and inequality.
- To assist the Country Office in its preparation of the 12MP Strategy Papers, Country Programme Document and any other reports
Objective 2: To provide administrative support to the Development Economist
- To represent the Development Economist in meetings or briefings, where necessary and to keep the Senior Management informed of work progress and planning.
- To provide administrative support to timely execution of work plans including in the organization of meetings, seminars, workshops and other activities.
- Undertake and support project implementation and procurement activities according to UNDP workflows including contracting consultants, institutional contracts and organization of workshops and travel.
- To follow up with key financial institutions and stakeholders on data collection, validating information and including setting up appointments where applicable.
Duration of work:
The consultancy is a full-time engagement which will take place from 1 October 2019 to 30 July 2020 (10 months).
S/he will be expected to be based in UNDP Malaysia and to report for work daily (5-day a week) in Putrajaya.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
Satisfactory outputs based on submission of Timesheet and activities performed under the scope of work.
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills and ability to extract and process economic data;
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently to produce results with consistent quality;
- Consistently approaches work with enthusiasm and a positive, constructive attitude;
- High degree of organization and initiative;
- Ability to work under pressure and time constraint, and produce quality deliverables;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master’s degree in Economics, Islamic Finance, Development, Public Policy, Statistics or other related fields; or
- in lieu of the Master’s degree, the candidate must have a minimum 3 years’ experience in research or any areas of work related to Economics, Islamic Finance, Development, Public Policy, Statistics.
Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Explain in a cover page (maximum 2 pages) how candidate’s qualification and experience make him/her suitable for the work;
- Complete the Letter of Interest;
- Complete P11 form OR a resume, provide 3 referee's name and their work email address
Specify a daily fee amount which is all inclusive and take into account various expenses the candidate expects to incur during the contract, including:
- The daily professional fee;
- The cost of travel from the home to the duty station and vice versa;
- Communications, utilities and consumables; tax and
- Life, health and any other insurance.
The estimated maximum number of workdays for the duration of the consultancy is as follows:
Daily rate (MYR)
Total Amount (MYR)
Maximum professional fee (inclusive of all expenses)
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview at the UNDP Office or via Skype.
How to Apply:
- Kindly download the Letter of Confirmation of interest and availability, Financial Proposal Template and General Terms & Conditions mentioned below;
- Read and agree to the General Terms & Conditions;
- Click the ‘apply’ icon and complete what is required;
- Scan all documents into 1 pdf folder and then upload;
- For clarification question, please email to email@example.com. The clarification question deadline is three (3) days before the closing. When emailing for clarification questions, please put "MyIC/2019/060" as the subject matter.
Forms and General terms & conditions to be downloaded:
- The UN Personal History Form (P11) is available at:http://www.my.undp.org/content/dam/malaysia/docs/Procurement/P11%20for%20SC%20&%20IC.doc?download
- The Letter of Confirmation Interest with Financial Proposal template at: http://www.my.undp.org/content/dam/malaysia/docs/Procurement/Letter%20of%20Interest%20and%20Financial%20Proposal%20Template.docx
- The General Terms & Conditions for Individual contract is available at:http://www.my.undp.org/content/dam/malaysia/docs/Procurement/General%20Conditions%20of%20Contract%20for%20IC.pdf?download
- The General Terms & Conditions for Reimbursement Loan Agreement is available at:http://www.my.undp.org/content/dam/malaysia/docs/Procurement/Reimbursable%20Loan%20Agreement%20_%20Terms%20&%20Conditions.pdf?download
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight; [70%]
* Financial Criteria weight; [30%]
UNDP applies a fair and transparent selection process that will take into account the competencies/skills of the applicants as well as their financial proposals. Qualified women and members of social minorities are encouraged to apply.