Translator / Editor
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMMEThe objectives of the Goal 4 Team (âA more effective and efficient WHO better supporting countriesâ) are to deliver WHO core functions at the country level, including leadership and governance in Public Health; efficient management administration; transparency, accountability and risk management; strategic planning, resource coordination and reporting; and strategic communications.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIESUnder the overall guidance of the WHO Representative (WR) and direct supervision of the Administrative Officer, the incumbent will\:
1. Provide ad hoc interpretation services to WHO staff attending steering committee meetings, technical working group meetings, conferences, official missions, workshops, meetings between international advisors and national consultants, as well as national counterparts.
2. Provide translation (Thai-English and English-Thai) of legislation, advocacy, information materials and reports, meeting documents, correspondence to/from the Government, national/international counterparts, etc.
3. Proof read/Edit translated documents from other individuals which are related to WHO work in Thailand.
4. Provide informal language training (Thai, English) to staff when requested.
5. Organize all translated documents by placing them in the relevant libraries, databases and technical terms pages on the SharePoint.
6. Manage the process of translation permissions in case of WHO HQ documents.
7. Build and maintain a bilingual Thai-English glossary of relevant terminology, names of institutions and transliterations into English of frequently used Thai names.
8. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EducationEssential\: Bachelor degree from a recognized university.
Desirable\: University degree in translation, interpretation or language studies.
ExperienceEssential\: At least two years of experience in simultaneous interpretation and translation in English and Thai.
Desirable\: Relevant experience in a UN or other international organization.
SkillsSkills on consecutive and simultaneous interpretation services (English/Thai).Ability to provide written translation services (English/Thai).Ability to work under pressure, use tact and discretion.
Other skills (eg. IT)\: Work requires the use of word processing facilities to create, edit, format and print correspondence and documents; spreadsheet and visual presentation software; e-mail and scheduling software to improve communications both internally and externally.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving forward in a changing environment
Use of Language SkillsEssential\: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Thai.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting (please refer to http\://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/gs.htm for current salary scale), subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO's workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.