The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and competent Research Associate (RA) to join the Capacitating Farmers and Fishers to manage climate risks in South Asia (CaFFSA) project of CCAFS Flagship 4: Climate Services and Safety Nets, supported by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Bangladesh. CaFFSA is led by WorldFish in Bangladesh with partnership of CIMMYT, IRI, Dept. of Fisheries – Bangladesh, Bangladesh Academy for Climate Services, Bangladesh Meteorological Department and Department of Agricultural extension. The project aims at understanding of climatic risk factors, their relationship with farmers/fisheries productivity, the uncertainties associated with forecasts and their implications for risk management and practical decision making. CaFFSA aims to bring innovation in delivery of climate services to 150,000 fishing and fish farming households in Bangladesh. The major objectives here are:
1. Assessment of climate information products and role in climate risk management in farm and fisheries
2. Understanding the role climate information in reducing uncertainty considering social context of farmers and fishers.
3. Scaling, communication and delivery of climate information with ICT’s
- Help to coordinate field and desk research activities in support of the CaFFSA project leader, scientists, and research associates.
- Carry out field work and surveys in multiple locations in Bangladesh.
- Conduct field days and coordinate participatory research activities on aspects related to rice-fish farming, aquaculture and climate services.
- Collect, curate, and analyse field data from surveys. Data entry, data cleaning, and provision of metadata for all datasets are a core part of this position.
- Lead survey efforts using Open Data Kit (ODK), Surveybe and other electronic survey platforms.
- Assist in designing ICT based weather knowledge dissemination systems.
- Conduct informal trainings to NGO, Government of Bangladesh, farmers in coordination CIMMYT’s senior staff.
- Organize meetings with various stakeholders and the Department of Agricultural Extension, Department of Fisheries and partners to discuss, streamline and implement climate services in Bangladesh.
- Facilitate to form partnerships with a wide range of clientele from public and private sector organizations including farmers’ groups.
- Assist monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Perform any other job-related duties as instructed by the supervisor.
Required qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum MSc degree in Fisheries, Aquaculture, Agricultural Sciences, Agricultural Engineering, Climatology, or Agricultural Economics, with demonstrated work experience in a similar capacity. Bachelor’s degree holders will be considered if exemplary performance and experience can be demonstrated.
- Demonstrated understanding of agricultural, aquaculture and climate change research issues in Bangladesh.
- Demonstrated experience to effectively communicate and collaborate with farmers and fishers in a research capacity.
- Ability to work with a range of partners, including the government of Bangladesh.
- Ability to travel frequently and on demand.
- Ability to work without frequent supervision or guidance, and to deliver work packages on time and with quality.
- Prior experience administering field surveys and field studies.
- Computer skills MS Office (outlook, excel, access), SPSS, JMP, R, or other statistical programs, and ability to rapidly learn new software, etc.
- Understanding of Interactive voice response (IVR) or Mobile application technologies is highly desirable.
- Experience with Graphic design software and the use Open Data Kit (ODK) is desirable.
- Self-motivation to independently learn and take on complex tasks with self-guidance.
- Physical fitness and ability to engage in field work on farms in rural contexts.
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in rural contexts for extended periods of time.
- Ability to drive motorcycle with valid license is desirable.
The position is for Bangladesh Nationals for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, with a three-month initial probationary period, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT will provide a nationally competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive health and life insurance, paid vacation, contributions to a retirement plan, and a range of other benefits as required by Bangladesh law.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Tuesday 1 October 2019 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no-B19147 in the subject of your email. Applications that do not point toward the Job Ref no in the subject will not be considered.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.