Base Manager- Tel Afar
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
The Tal Afar Base Manager has responsibility for the planning, oversight and timely delivery of DRC’s operations in the Area of Responsibility (AoR), with specific oversight of livelihoods, shelter and infrastructure, and protection programming and operations. The Base Manager leads on local level representation within Tel Afar district and all sub-districts within it. The Base Manager is responsible for oversight and ensuring the smooth running of local support services including management of finance, admin, HR, logistics and security, with support from the technical leads for these services based in Mosul.
- Ensure performance objectives and key performance indicators are established and regularly reviewed for direct reports.
- Provide regular constructive feedback to direct reports, and support direct reports in performance management of their team members.
- Develop staff competence through recruitment, leadership, training and coaching of key staff.
- Ensure that a capacity building plan is in place for national staff, and support nationalization efforts as necessary and relevant.
Program Implementation & Development
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and follow up on livelihoods, recovery, and social cohesion interventions within the Area of Responsibility.
- In collaboration with the Area Program Manager and Area Manager, lead the development and implementation of the agreed programme strategy for the AoR.
- Monitor the progress of projects against work plans and provide appropriate support to project managers and staff to ensure that work plans are adjusted, as needed, and targets are met.
- Maintain oversight of budget spending and burn rates for Tel Afar, and assure compliance with DRC standards and procedures and donor compliance regulations, through regular coordination with support services teams at Area Office and Country Office level.
- Identify risk areas to delivery of projects and coordinate solutions and mitigation measures in a timely manner.
- Analyse the specific local context, needs, gaps and constraints and anticipate forthcoming movements and displacement-related trends, recommending appropriate adjustments to programme activities.
- Ensure submission of regular qualitative and analytical internal reports and donor reports within the given timeframes.
- Ensure that project activities develop and are implemented in line with DRC’s mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, as well as with donors requirements and national and international rules and guidelines.
- Contribute to the development of early recovery and development programme proposals (narrative and budgetary) to secure follow on or expansion funding for the northern Ninewa portfolio in line with identified needs, strategic priorities and cluster guidance.
- Maintain oversight on all financial reporting from Tel Afar base to the Area Office and Coordination office.
- Lead the development, updating and monitoring of the operational Master Budget and funding overview for Tel Afar, in coordination with Finance Manager in Mosul.
- Provide procurement planning support to base staff (both program and support), in close coordination with the Supply Chain Manager in Mosul.
- Ensure base compliance with DRC financial, supply chain, administrative, and operational standard operating procedures.
- Track and report on operational key performance indicators (KPIs) for Tel Afar base, and lead on risk mitigation measures and/or actions to address low performaing KPIs.
External Representation & Coordination
- Represent DRC before relevant donors, local authorities and coordination bodies in the AoR under the direction of the Mosul Area Manager.
- Engage with relevant national and international actors and actively participate in relevant clusters, sectors and working groups and other meetings in the AoR as needed, to support coordination, fundraising, access issues, etc.
- Liaise with local authorities and relevant actors to secure necessary authorisations and clearances as required.
- Ensure community acceptance and maintain engagement with local government in the AoR.
- Maintain high level of security awareness and adhere to all safety regulations provided by DRC for safety and security of DRC staff and assets in Tel Afar, in coordination with Area Manager and the Safety team.
- Comply with DRC policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, safety and security, anti-harassment, and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Reporting to: Area Manager
- Direct reports: Livelihoods Project Manager, Protection Project Manager, Support Services Team Leader (HR, Admin, Finance, Supply Chain), Fleet and Safety Officer
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible management experience administering development, early recovery and/or humanitarian projects.
- Experience with providing management oversight, technical support and training to programme staff, in particular livelihoods.
- Demonstrable experience in managing staff safety and programme security in insecure environments.
- Strong proven experience in managing logistics, procurement, administrative and financial functions.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and in writing
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to negotiate with a wide range of people (internally and externally)
- Ability to adapt to the complex and stressful working conditions of the area of operations
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, adaptability, willingness to travel.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Willingness to follow security policies and procedures
- University degree or higher education in Politics, Social Sciences, Peacebuilding, or similar relevant field, or significant additional demonstrable past professional experience gained through field work
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic (Desirable)
- Area Manager
- Area Program Manager
- Support Services Manager
- Ninewa and Tel Afar governorate officials
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months
Designation of Duty Station: Tel Afar
Start date: 1 December 2019
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15-October-2019
Note: the applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo