Senior Elections Advisor - Myanmar
|Senior Elections Advisor - Myanmar|
IFES is seeking a Senior Elections Advisor to supporting programming in its Myanmar office in the lead up to the 2020 elections. The Senior Election Advisor is a management position at IFES providing programmatic support to the IFES Myanmar office. Specific duties will include providing support to IFES’ work with the Union Election Commission (UEC) in the lead up to the 2020 elections. This position is based in Yangon, Myanmar with weekly travel to Naypyitaw, where the UEC is based.
|• In partnership with the Country Director and Senior Advisor, provide general in-depth advice based on professional experience in similar advisory roles, best international practice, and research on electoral technical issues as needed, including (but not limited to):
o Drafting FAQs notes in close coordination with the team, operational planning and field coordination, coordinate UEC voter education, electoral integrity and fraud prevention measures, and training and capacity building.
• In partnership with the IFES team, support ongoing implementation of the UEC’s Five Year Strategic Plan;
• Prepare concept and research papers, reports and briefings on election related topics as required;
• In partnership with the Country Director and Senior Advisor, guide election stakeholders on international standards and best practices on electoral issues;
• Design and conduct participatory workshops on specific electoral topics as needed for different stakeholders;
• Build strong relations with the UEC at headquarters and sub-commissions and travel to conduct or oversee capacity building programs in the states/regions;
• Maintain a system of continuous evaluation of the UEC’s activities trouble-shooting, identifying urgent needs, gaps and risks while noting progress and achievements;
• Assist the Country Director to ensure the timely execution of project activities within the allocated budget, and strategic development and implementation.
• Manage a team of national staff to support ongoing UEC work including holding regular meetings and also provide feedback on progress of activities and their performance.
• Coordinate drafting scopes of work and manage the coordination and deployment of international consultants when and where needed.
• Troubleshoot project problems, identify and suggest creative solutions.
• Participate in proposal development/new initiative process as needed.
• Contribute and ensure the quality of monthly/quarterly reports.
• Provide input into annual workplans, PMPs, and other programmatic reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
|• Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, international development or a related field required.
• Minimum of 10 years of work experience in democracy and governance in the international development sector is required. Relevant experience working with international nongovernmental organizations is required.
• Knowledge of USAID, DFID, DFAT or other non-USG donor requirements an asset.
• Broad knowledge of election administration and operations;
• Experience working with electoral management bodies in an advisory capacity at the national level;
• Experience with project management and oversight of large single project or multiple small projects. Supervisory experience a plus.
• Demonstrated experience with monitoring and evaluation processes;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
• English required.
TRAVEL: Travel up to 50% of time.
Interesteed candidates should apply by filling out a job application on IFES website.