The UNFPA Nordic Office works to maintain and strengthen relations with key external
partners including governments, parliaments, NGOs, academia, the private sector, and
media in the Nordic countries.
As a member of an efficient, ambitious small team, you will take active part in preparing and
executing communication and visibility events and reach out to media to strengthen
UNFPAs voice in the Nordic region. You will also execute in a well-organized way
administrative tasks related to the daily running the office.
You will report directly to the Chief of Nordic Office.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every
childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA's new strategic plan
(2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths;
end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff,
who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them
courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained
results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources
entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Nordic countries continue to be among the strongest supporters of ensuring sexual and
reproductive health and rights in both development and humanitarian contexts and the
Nordic countries provide substantial financial and political support to the work of UNFPA.
Your job is to use your creative skills when communicating data and human-interest stories
to the Nordic partners about the tangible results generated in the more than 150 countries
where UNFPA work - and to highlight where support is still needed.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
- Draft and pitch articles for Nordic news outlets on issues related to UNFPA mandate;
- Collect and analyze data and information for background paper and briefing notes;
- Prepare and send out periodic newsletters to alert audiences on new material and
make presentations on UNFPA mandate;
- Manage and further strengthen social media accounts;
- Develop and execute advocacy events, seminars and campaigns in the Nordic
countries such as the launch of the State of World Population report, photo
exhibitions, and relevant UN days.
Developing and maintaining partnerships
- Manage the Nordic Internship program in UNFPA country offices with Nordic
- Prepare invitations, flyers, etc. in InDesign in relation with campaigns and
- Identify opportunities for innovation that improve the running of the office when
performing administrative tasks; including filing, travel claims, use of finance systems
(UNFPA finance system);
- Provide logistical support for instance in relation to high-level visits to the region.
Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- University degree in communication and/or development or other relevant area is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 5 years of relevant work experience (e.g. communication, media, journalism, etc.) is required. However, an Advanced University degree in a relevant field in combination with 3 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of 5 years of experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office, InDesign and Photoshop is a strong asset.
- Ability to work independently and structured;
- Open to change and ability to receive constructive feedback and differing points of view.
Fluency in English and in one of the Nordic languages is required. Knowledge of other
official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is desirable.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Achieving Results
- Being Accountable
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
- Thinking analytically and Strategically
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
- Communicating for Impact
- Planning and organizing
- Media relations
- Client orientation
- Networking skills
- Excellent drafting skills
- Quality assurance
- Creating and innovating