Education Specialist (Arabic)
tyre area – •education programme
Education Specialist (Arabic) Grade 13
Deadline for Applications
20 October 2019
Fixed-Term Appointment for 3 years
Vacancy Announcement Number
Duty Station & Department
Tyre Area – •Education Programme
UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women and welcomes applications from qualified candidates with disabilities.
UNRWA, the largest United Nations operation in the Middle East with over 30,000 staff working across five areas of operation, is looking for professionals like you.
UNRWA's human development goals
UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states, regional bodies, business foundations and individual contributions. UNRWA has identified four human development goals as the focus of the Agency's operations in committing to fostering human development of Palestine refugees by helping them to: lead long and healthy lives, acquire knowledge and skills, achieve decent standards of living and enjoy human rights to the fullest possible extent.
How can you make a difference?
You will be joining a team of around 3000 staff in the Lebanon Field Office working to foster the human development of registered Palestine refugees.••
The main responsibilities include:
• Supports schools and assists teachers directly through team/model, co-teaching (plan, teach, and evaluate a lesson with the teacher seeking assistance), and class room observation. Provides, explains, and demonstrates instructional resources and materials, and monitors the implementation of up-to-date equitable inclusive quality teaching methods and techniques at all schools he/she supports;
• Supports schools and teachers in continuing professional development and school-based teacher development programs, and advises on developing and implementing comprehensive, professional development plans that are aligned with teachers' competencies, applying a coherent model of support, adult learning strategies and appropriate models of technical support and research based practices;
• Assists and advises the Head Teachers/School Principals in setting , implementing and evaluating their School Development Plan, and coordinates continuing professional development needs for all schools he/she supports to enhance school ethos and ensures that the needs of the schools are met;
• Provides support in curriculum analysis and enrichment to meet the new curricular challenges and innovations and the different aspects of inclusive education and advises on identifying appropriate teaching and learning tools, materials and resources to ensure that the needs of all students, teachers and schools are met;
• Works as a team member and assists on quality assurance implementation to enhance inclusive educational services against set standards and performance indicators for improving quality of schools;
• Supports teachers and schools in assessing and analyzing students' achievement by identifying different strategies for all• learners in order to improve the quality of teaching and learning;
• Participates in preparing for interviewing and selection of candidate for teaching posts to ensure criteria applied, and the most qualified and capable teachers are hired; assists Head Teachers/School Principals in the performance management of teachers in relation to technical aspects;
• Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
Conditions of service•
Fixed Term Appointment, Grade 13
Monthly basic salary L.L 2,112,358
Other benefits include monthly Provident Fund contribution (15% of basic salary paid by the Agency), compulsory medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, and dependency allowance (if applicable).
To qualify for this position, you will need:
A University degree from a college or university recognized by UNRWA in the subject (Arabic) to be supported plus at least one year of professional teacher training; or
A University degree from a college or university recognized by UNRWA in the subject (Arabic) to be supported plus a higher Diploma or advanced degree in education;
At least eight years satisfactory teaching experience in the subject (Arabic) •he/she will support.
Excellent command of spoken and written Arabic;
Good command of spoken and written English.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Knowledge of educational theories and good practices, and teacher/ school development;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in a team working environment;
• Demonstrated ability to communicate both verbally and in writing;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet target deadlines;
• Problem solving and decision making skills;
• Proficiency in the standard PC applications used by the Agency;
• Research and problem solving skills in teaching and learning context;
• Integrity and positive attitude.
• Advanced degree in a related subject;
• Possession of a valid driving license.
Additional Information :
The incumbent may be required to work beyond the regular working hours.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
Recruitment in UNRWA Lebanon – How it works:
Who we are
For over 70 years, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA) has been working on the ground in five fields of operations in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, West Bank and the Gaza Strip providing direct assistance and protection for some 5 million Palestine refugees in the Middle East. UNRWA is mandated by the UN General Assembly to provide this assistance and its mission is to help Palestine refugees achieve their full potential in human development until there is a just and lasting solution for their plight. UNRWA restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who have been uprooted by conflict with services encompassing education, health care, relief and social services, camp infrastructure and improvement, microfinance and emergency assistance.
For more details on UNRWA, please visit: www.unrwa.org
How to apply
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.org will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your Personal History Profile is accurate, candidates shortlisted for test or/and interview will only be contacted by e-mail. No follow up phone calls will be made.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process. The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
This vacancy notice is open to internal and external candidates. As an Area post, preference will be given to local candidates already based in the duty station of the post.
UNRWA is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNRWA staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNRWA jobs. UNRWA is a non-smoking work environment.
The Agency reserves the right not to make an appointment, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description
Date of issue: 7 October 2019