Digital Communications Specialist
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The Digital Communications Specialist effectively promotes the work of UN Women in the Region within the context of UN Women Global and Regional Communication Strategy. As part of the communications unit, the Digital Communications Specialist works under the direct supervision and in daily coordination with the Regional Communications Specialist, covers primary tasks as outlined below including backstopping on other communications and advocacy tasks.
S/he provides high quality support to planning, communications production, and partnership building in service of UN Women’s mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions
- Supports the communication needs of the regional portfolio;
- Undertakes digital distribution, promotion, monitoring, social media and website analytics;
- Undertakes and oversees the editorial and technical maintenance of UN Women Regional website;
- Undertakes and oversees the development, production and design of interactive, visual communications, and digital products for the Regional Office and support programme presence offices and country offices in the region.
Support implementation of UN Women regional communication strategy:
- Ensure proper planning and implementation of programmatic communication activities, in close collaboration with the Communication's focal points in the region;
- Ensure that UN Women visibility and branding guidelines are well implemented;
- Support communications and advocacy related matters, such as website, newsletters, press releases, publications and audiovisual materials;
- Assist in developing human stories based on the success stories from different projects;
- Participate in the UN Communication Group Meetings, and assist in coordinating with other UN agencies on communication and digital media plans;
- Support UN Women Americas and the Caribbean region advocacy events and ensure proper online visibility;
- Support the development of multimedia material for the programme presence offices and country offices in the region.
Management of Regional Office online platforms:
- Ensure UN Women’s proper visibility across different platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.);
- Maintain UN Women Facebook page, Twitter and others, with regular posting and respond to messages and comments in a timely manner;
- Manage UN Women Regional Office website in coordination with UN Women ICT Associate in HQ;
- In collaboration with relevant Country Office units, continuously develop and update content for the UN Women Regional Office website;
- Develop creative and engaging content for social media platforms promoting the work implemented on the ground and the results achieved;
- Researches and implements new avenues for digital content distribution and promotion;
- Regularly monitors and reports on website analytics to inform digital strategies online (e.g. user experience, information architecture, SEO, etc).
Planning, monitoring and reporting on digital space and online platforms:
- Develop a plan for enhancing UN Women regional presence on digital space following the communication strategy for the office;
- Monitor reactions and impressions to UN Women content on the different online platforms;
- Develop regular reports on UN Women’s performance on the digital space with recommendations for improvements ;
- Provides guidance to field offices on interactive and digital communications standards, tools, and trends;
- Researches latest digital trends in communications space and conceptualize creative opportunities for digital innovation;
- Assesses, arranges for and implements project’s scope, timing, work effort and budget throughout a given project life cycle for long-term digital products (such as interactive web applications), in coordination with Web and IT teams;
- Manages relationships with external vendors and supervises the production schedules and work of designers (interactive, web, UX) and developers (web, mobile) in the development and production of interactive, visual communications and digital products.
Perform other duties as and when required and designated by the supervisor.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
1. Knowledge and Expertise in Communications and Digital Media
- Knowledge of best practices in digital outreach and digital advocacy;
- Experience in effective management of online platforms and content development;
- Excellent knowledge of social media marketing;
- Updated knowledge of interactive digital outreach tools;
- Creativity in planning digital outreach initiatives to serve UN Women’s mandate;
- Strong skills in writing, editing and communications in both English and Arabic;
- Knowledge of women’s rights issues.
2. Management and Leadership
- Demonstrates excellent judgment, particularly with regard to being able to prioritize according to importance and urgency;
- Highly organized, with particular ability in devising systems to ensure follow up;
- Enjoys multi-tasking and managing several projects at one time;
- Focuses on impact and result;
- Ability to work as a positive and valued member of task teams and demonstrates conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Displays high level of discretion.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism or Public relations.
- Six years of relevant experience in communication and digital media;
- Experience in social media and web management;
- Experience in content development for online platforms;
- Experience in graphic design, photography and photo editing and/or web design;
- Experience in filming / video editing is desirable;
- Previous experience working in the United Nations System is desirable;
- Previous experience working in the Americas and Caribbean region is required.
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English and Spanish required.
Applicants cannot be a public servant from the State, Departmental Government, State Entity and Decentralized services, whatever the nature of the link (paid or not), or hired under any modality by said state public persons.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications consists of one attachment that include a completed and signed, UN Women Personal History Form (P11) together with an updated CV. Applications without the completed P11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. Please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document as the system only allows to upload maximum one document. The electronic version of the P11 can be downloaded from the following website: http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment.
UN Women is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
If you are experiencing difficulties with online job applications, please contact email@example.com.
Note: Only short-listed qualified candidates will be contacted.