Call Centre Operator (Multiple posts), Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – UNOPS Hub in Amman:
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information – Job-Specific:
The Iraq IIC was launched in 2015 following an inter-agency assessment into the information and communication needs of displaced populations in Iraq. Responding to one of the most complex humanitarian crises in the world, the Humanitarian Country Team agreed to the establishment of an inter-agency accountability mechanism that allows affected populations to directly influence the evolution of humanitarian response in Iraq.
The Iraq IIC is implemented by UNOPS and is funded by a range of partners. Since its launch, the Iraq IIC has handled more than 170,000 calls, giving information to more than 1 million individuals. The Iraq IIC’s primary objective is to promote two-way communication between affected populations to:
Empower communities through the provision of accessible and timely information on how to access humanitarian services and resources required to improve their situation;
Help ensure efficient and effective coordination of humanitarian actors operating in Iraq by collecting and circulating information about the urgent needs and priorities of affected populations, as well as the information gaps between them and delivering actors;Support an environment of transparency and accountability by establishing an easy-to-access and safe mechanism through which critical feedback and complaints can be submitted and referred to humanitarian actors to influence humanitarian programming and shape advocacy.
Under the direct supervision of the Call Centre Supervisor, and the general overwiew of the Project Support Officer ,the Operator will perform the following duties with effectiveness, transparency, and integrity:
- Liase with supervisors, other operators, and third parties to gather information and resolve issues;
- Handle calls in a timely and professional manner, including distressing calls. Ensure that all calls are treated with the degree of empathy, respect and understanding commensurate with the sensitivity of the call and the vulnerability of the caller;
- Write clear and concise caller notes in English, ensuring a rapid call handling time;
- Ensure data protection and data entry is accurate;
- Guarantee that all information collected is confidential at all levels;
- Build and foster a pleasant and effective working environment;
- Attend briefings, meetings, and trainings called by supervisors;
- Remain informed of accurate and up-to-date information on the humanitarian response and information relevant to affected communities;
- Ensure supervisor’s instructions are implemented effectively and in duly manner;
- Relay accurate and timely information to callers in a professional manner;
- Flag information gaps and call trend analysis to supervisors. Ensure that enquiries that fall beyond the scope of developed scripts and guidance notes are referred to the supervisor for further action;
- Demonstrate an ability to learn quickly, follow procedures, and act professionally at all times;
- Be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their job; incumbents may be asked to perform other duties which reasonably correspond to the general character of their job and their level of responsibility.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Bachelor Degree in Communication, Marketing, Business Administration or other related field
- A secondary education in combination with a total of 6 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- At least two years of work experience in a call centre or other related field for handling customer inquiries is required.
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
- Advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, and experience in handling of web based management systems is desirable.
- Analytical skills is required
- Experience working in the humanitarian sector
- Availability to work in shifts, including night shifts and weekends.
- Fluency in English, Arabic and Kurdish is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support, level 6
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.