Head of European Aviation Plans, Cooperation & Stakeholder Support
- Function title: Head of European Aviation Plans, Cooperation & Stakeholder Support
- Reference: NOC-DE-2019-AD/146
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations
- Grades for publication: AD13
- Type of post: Advisor or equivalent/Military Head of Division (AD13-AD14)
If selected, internal candidates at grade AD14 will exceptionally retain their current grade in the type of post advertised.
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/Plans, Cooperation and Stakeholders Support (PCS)
- Competition publication date: 10/10/2019
- Competition closing date: 21/11/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the European Aviation Plans, Cooperation & Stakeholder Support Division is responsible to lead the definition, coordination and maintenance of Agency plans in support of European Aviation. In this role, the service leads technical relations with key ATM partners, and is responsible to identify new strategic partnerships including those non-European States.
The Head of European Aviation Plans, Cooperation & Stakeholder Support Division shall be responsible to lead the definition, coordination and maintenance of Agency plans in support of European Aviation. S/he shall maintain the ATM Master Plan and architecture. S/he shall cooperate with European organisations and stakeholders and contribute to European aviation harmonisation and interoperability. S/he shall support the delivery of the complete DECMA work programme. S/he will initiate, develop and manage a complex range of multi-national / multi-stakeholder projects. S/he will contribute to making the Agency a central player in European aviation. S/he will manage teams of approximately 100 staff.
Your role will be to:
- lead the definition, coordination and maintenance of the Agency’s plans in support of European aviation, and ensure its continuity as a key instrument for aviation;
- identify strategic partnerships including those non-European States which could be beneficial to the European aviation community;
- negotiate and lead the technical relations with key ATM partners (EASA, ICAO, SJU, EC, etc.) and with potential new international partners, and cooperate with them, in support of their activities, through work programmes, agreements and memoranda of cooperation;
- manage the Division’s activities and resources (staff and budget) while promoting strong coordination and collaboration with the Agency’s services;
- lead the Agency’s contribution and technical support to SJU international activities;
- manage the outbound secondees of the Agency and strengthen coordination with Member States & ECAC states via the Agency’s inbound & outbound secondment;
- coordinate and support the overall bid, contractual and execution process related to research (up to and including industrialization) projects/programmes in close collaboration with NMD and MUAC;
- support the management and delivery of the DECMA Work Programme and Business Planning (with main focus on SESAR);
- develop and maintain excellent and effective relations with stakeholders and represent the Agency in internal/external high-level groups;
- communicate effectively on the Agency’s capabilities, competencies, services, products and successes.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain, e.g. engineering, law, international relations, financial, business administration, etc., or a professional training of an equivalent level.
- In addition to the above, a minimum of 18 years’ relevant professional experience, including 10 years in management or strategic activities, with a focus on planning and delivery of multi-national, multi-organisation projects in an effective manner with stakeholder buy-in. Combined experience in marketing, project management, finance, technology, training, business/master planning is a strong asset.
- Proficiency in leading large-scale programs, especially in the aviation environment.
- Senior management experience in multi-organisation technical projects and in multi-national cooperation programmes (for example in ANSPs, training, etc.)
- Senior management experience in bringing new technology programmes from initiation to implementation at multi-national level, with multiple stakeholders in a complex multi-regulatory environment
- Senior management experience in securing projects, evolving organisations and delivering change management programmes
- Experience in preparing corporate and business plans.
- Experience in Air Traffic Management (ATM).
- Strong grasp of project economics and planning, and commercial viability of a project. Ability to delivery projects to timescale and budget.
- A wide range of service contacts in the industry is an advantage.
- Knowledge of relevant European Commission programmes.
- Understanding of the aviation sector, its challenges, actors and networks.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Ability to be a team player in EUROCONTROL
- Ability to lead and build a strong and effective team and show direction
- Strong effective communicator and ability to deliver at strategic, technical and operational level
- Ability to develop and influence strategic visions, plans and outcomes
- Ability to build alliances, project teams, and consortiums
- Ability to shape projects and generate ideas.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- This post entails management activities. Established staff members will therefore have to serve a probationary period of 9 months. This period may be shortened to 6 months if the successful candidate is appointed following a competition preceded by a previous temporary assignment to the post for which s/he was selected.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply.